Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 22nd, 2003, 02:33 AM
Mardenian

Default Mosquitos

Somebody told me that the mosquitos are terrible but certain times of the year are worse than others. Does anyone know what they are like in August? We have someone in our party who reacts badly to the bites.
Sponsored Links
Old July 22nd, 2003, 12:23 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Mosquitos

We've taken the inside passage cruises twice in August and never saw a mosquito, either on the ships or in the towns we visited (including the White Pass tours).

There were some annoying bugs on the trails on Mount Roberts however they weren't mosquitos.
Old July 22nd, 2003, 04:25 PM
Mardenian

Default Re: Re: Mosquitos

Thanks Peter. What was your weather like in August?
Old July 22nd, 2003, 05:19 PM
First Mate

In 2001 it was overcast our first full day at sea and then sunny the rest of the trip until Ketchikan where we had some drizzle. Didn't even need an umbrella. Juneau and Skagway were clear and in the high 70's. Glacier bay some puffy clouds and awsome.
Last day at sea (to Seattle) sunny.

In 2002 again it was overcast the first full sea day. It poured rain in Juneau all day (started just as they pulled up the gangplank. Light rain in Skagway (did need umbrellas) but the rain was off and on. Glacier bay again puffy clouds and still awsome. Ketchikan....get this....sunny and clear! Last day at sea (to Vancouver) sunny.
Old July 22nd, 2003, 11:12 PM
Admiral

You aren't going to run into significant bug problems on the inside passage- interior is another story. Less of a problem by late August usually.
Old July 26th, 2003, 01:37 AM
Bob Cornelius

The only place we ran into mosquitos was on the Chilkat river, on the bank before starting our float down the river to see eagles. The mosquitos there were very agressive. My wife used Avon "Skin so soft" and was not bitten. I used nothing and had welts still visible two weeks later... But the mosquitos were not around on the river or anywhere else. Except for that one location, bugs were not a problem, and if I'd used a bit of repellant, not even then. Have some repellant with you just in case, and enjoy your trip! --Bob
Old July 26th, 2003, 09:08 AM
bella c

Default Re: Re: Mosquitos

I agree. We heard some horror stories but the only place I got bit was on the river and it was a zinger. I had a hat on and bug spray and got 2 huge bites on my head. I thought I had tumors???
Old July 29th, 2003, 01:26 AM
Linda100

Default Re: Re: Re: Mosquitos

Did a cruise and a landtour in June and agree with others on this board. No problem at all with insects while on the cruise, but lots of mosquitos in the interior. Terrible in Fairbanks and Talkeetna. Used lotion type mosquito repellant. Worked well. Forgot to reapply it one afternoon, however, and was bitten so badly on my ankel that it took about 2 weeks to go down and left a scar about the size of a quarter. My suggestion would be to use your repellant liberally and frequently when in the interior.
Old July 29th, 2003, 05:11 PM
SharB

You will probably run into mosquitos in any forested area, so plan accordingly. We've traveled to Alaska three times in September and found them in trees whereever we went. In town and along the coast are OK, we never saw any. If I were your friend, I wouldn't risk ruining my vacation by gambling on it.
Old August 13th, 2003, 01:13 PM
Captain

We were there in July and only encountered mosquitos during our stay in Denali National Park (our cabin was on the river). Other than that--and it was a big problem there--no problem.
Old August 17th, 2003, 07:02 PM
Passenger

Just got off the Island yesterday morning in Seward. Never saw any mosquitos but we never went into the forrests either. As long and there ios a breeze there won't be many if at all.