Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 28th, 2003, 01:56 AM
Jo W

Default Alaska Cruise - Clothes

Help:

We are leaving on the August 9th inside passage Alaska Cruise - Star Princess. I have heard so many things about what to pack, I am totally confused.

I bought a few capri pant outfits to wear on board ship (for other than formal night); have jeans and tee shirts/sweatshirts for shore excursions; one rain jacket., gloves, hat, one black coctail dress, one other long dress. Am I going to be okay with the capri pants (couple we are going with had heard that capri pants are fine on ship for other than formal night). Also have a couple of terrycloth jogging suits for morning walk and treadmill (if I can get to it - I heard the treadmill is hard to get time for).

What am I forgetting?

Thanks for any help I can QUICKLY get.

Jo W.
Sponsored Links
Old July 28th, 2003, 06:35 AM
bella c

Default Re: Alaska Cruise - Clothes

Just got back from Coral Princess. Don't overpack. Remember the people who choose Alaska are not fashion queens. They are people who enjoy nature and are fairly active. I brought 2 pairs of capris but only wore one. Most of the time people wore jeans. Dinner time can be as casual as you want. I wore knit pants one night a denium skirt one night and capris one night. There might be times when you go to the 24 hour buffet which is quite good and then you will probably wear shorts. It is a lot more casual than people think. Some older people really dressed up for the formal night but a simple black dress works. Jogging suits work too. They are comfortable and the jackets come in handy if it is cool on deck. I brought hat and gloves but never wore them. If it is really cold on deck Princess has plaid blanket wraps they will give you.
Some Princess ships have a coin laundry so t-shirts can be washed. Like I said do not over pack. Alaska shopping is great. Shirts are beautiful. Don't forget flip flops and give yourself a treat go to the spa. It was great.
Old July 28th, 2003, 08:27 AM
Lambert

Default Re: Re: Alaska Cruise - Clothes

Thanks for the helpful advice. We are off on Island shortly. Can you tell me what Capri pants are?
Old July 28th, 2003, 12:15 PM
SF Sharon

Capri pants expose the ankle.
Old July 28th, 2003, 11:34 PM
Admiral

You also need a lightweight jacket, not terrycloth which would get and stay damp. Something quick drying like nylon. You rain jacket may get too hot, especially if it is nonbreathable. I never take jeans- then to get and stay damp, too bulky, and take forever to dry. Best for me are lined and unlined wind pants and leggins. I also always do my laundry off ship in Skagway- can be done in a little over an hour and have had some excellent conversations.
Old July 29th, 2003, 09:15 AM
Yeoman

In May it was really cold with a constant cold wind. You should have warmer weather, but the wind may still be there so something with a hood might come in handy.
Old August 3rd, 2003, 08:56 PM
mslvp

Similar to what I'm taking (except pant suits or sweater/pants instead of capri pants) I'm talking a parka & a clear "slicker"

Off on the DawnPrincess on 8/25, you?

Lois/The Perfect Vacation
Old August 6th, 2003, 06:34 AM
Passenger

I found some light-weight denim stretch jeans at Walmart that worked out great. I also took a 2nd pair of regular jeans and was very glad I had them, especially for hiking. I took too much in the way of evening clothes. I thought we were going to have 2 informal (semi formal) nights onboard ship, but we only had one.

As others have suggested, don't overpack, and focus on the casual. Take what you need for formal and semi-formal nights, but also remember that a number of items can serve double-duty. E.g., By accessorizing differently (different jewelry, perhaps a shawl of a different color), a nice black dress can easily be worn two nights. Also limit the shoes you take. Shoes are heavy and take up a lot of luggage space. I took one pair of dressy black shoes, 2 pair of tennies, and one pair of casual loafers. That proved to be plenty.

Have a wonderful trip!
Old August 9th, 2003, 04:05 PM
Passenger

Just got back from an inside passage cruise. Weather was in the 50's and 60s. I wore a t-shirt with a fleece over it and then a light rain jacket and was fine. Had rain only in Juneau in the afternoon. Dress warmly for any glacier hikes, dog sledding or if you are cruising by a glacier.(hats, gloves, scarf). Did not wear shorts or capris except for in Vancouver.
Old August 14th, 2003, 07:08 PM
SF Sharon

Don't forget your swimsuit and beach coverup! It was 80 degrees some of the time during our cruise last week.