Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 29th, 2003, 10:23 PM
Flagger

Default First time Cruise with a then one year old lots of questions

We are about to approach our 10 year anniversary and have decided on an inside passage cruise. We are looking at May 2004 on HA or Princess. Because of her age, we are not that concerned with activities for a 12 month old. I have heard just wonderful things about HA and the baby is only a $99 add-on as opposed to several hundred for other lines.

I know that an outside cabin with balcony is a must for an AK cruise, but what we cannot decide on is doing a YVR-YVR or a YVR-Seward (or reverse).

We are not that concerned about the cold so May seems like a good time with the bonus of the extra hours of daylight. We really want to avoid the peak season. We would be doing a sea only package as we don't know where we will be living at that time next year so airfare will be our last thing we book.

We may ask Ms. Flagger's parents and/or her aunt and uncle if they wish to accompany us to have a built in babysitter.

My questions:

Are these lines out of the question when travelling with a 12 month old? What lines would you consider if not those two.

If it was your FIRST time (remember that) would you do YVR-YVR or YVR-Seward/Whittier? (If so would you do north or south bound?

Is it worth mentioning to the purser or staff of our anniversary celebration for any extras? If so, who would I ask? I figure the answer is ALWAYS no if you don't ask.
Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2003, 08:00 AM
jnj

Default Re: First time Cruise with a then one year old lots of quest

I can't help with the child part, but most lines do wedding / anniversary packages (usually in the special occasions on board type extras).

This cruise we're on NCL, and can get the room decorated, flowers delivered, or a gift basket (with dinner in one of the pricey restaurants). There's also a honeymooner's party we were invited to. On our registration form (and the on-line travel agent asked too) they asked if we had any special events (anniversary, retirement, birthday..) and what day it was. I know I looked and most lines have something they can do.

We did my birthday onboard a couple years ago and they did a cake to the table (assigned dinner tables, not freestyle cruising). It was done a day late because my birthday was embarkation day and dinner was random seating that night.
Old July 30th, 2003, 08:39 AM
Admiral

I never recommend any one way cruises without at least 5 additional days interior touring, but that would not probably be a good option with an infant- the distances are vast. Another problem would be to book with Princess if you are doing a one way as they will be using Whittier and not Seward- this would avoid a 3 hour bus trip or 4 hour train with an infant that may be disruptive and you would have no "out". If considering driving that would be the better option. There will be may restrictions on tours with an infant- look closely at what you wish to do and inquire. With the baby sitter no problem. Overall, I would book a round trip, look carefully at route and time in ports, and glacier choice. It will all be a great deal of compromise, go with what fits best.
Old July 30th, 2003, 08:44 AM
Flagger

For a first-timer, should I consider Glacier Bay or Hubbard? There are NO guarantees that a built in babysitter will be coming, so we are aware of restrictions with an infant. Honestly I am going for the scenery as I cannot eat any seafood (Shocked look on the lurkers faces).
Old July 31st, 2003, 07:34 AM
Admiral

Glacier Bay is my preference. But you are limited with that choice, Hubbard is indeed also spectacular.