Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 1st, 2003, 05:11 AM
Gypsy

Default Alaska At The End Of May?

What is the weather like? Will be coming from Florida and don't want to freeze. We have no choice re: time of year.
Best to see Glacier Bay or Sawyer Glacier? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old August 2nd, 2003, 11:40 AM
Gypsy

Default Re: Alaska At The End Of May?

I can't read any of the replies. Site states there are 10. I can read replies to others. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks
Old August 3rd, 2003, 05:48 AM
Passenger

Where are the 10 other replies... I certainly don't see them...lol

Lowest rainfall May and June but will still be cold near glaciers so you'll need lined jacket, hat and gloves.

We came from a Sydney winter that was warmer than Alaska summer!! We felt cold around the glaciers (College Fjord and Glacier Bay) when out on deck, but it did not stop us from standing outside for two hours in front of Marjorie Glacier and the inside of the ship was very pleasant so you can always watch from inside somewhere if your getting too cold.

Glacier Bay was truly beautiful, sat in the hot tubs on the top deck most of the way out of the bay, one of the big highlights of our trip. In Glacier Bay there are many glaciers to view and Marjorie, the largest, calved a number of times. Johns Hopkins is another of the glaciers and there are also many spectacular snow capped mountains in the background. Great for photographs.

Didn't see Sawyer Glacier so cannot comment on it's beauty but this is just one glacier compared to the many in Glacier Bay. You choose!

Cheers,
Kim
Old August 3rd, 2003, 10:50 AM
Yeoman

We are from Mobile, AL and were there in mid May this year. It never got above the mid forties - about like one of our coldest winter days. Also there was a constant COLD wind. I had the same concerns you expressed about being cold, so I bought a jacket from Land's End when they went on sale. Even that wasn't warm enough for me! Most of the people we met were from the northern states or Canada, and they were all dressed warmly. We saw many people wrapped in blankets. However, if you can get out of the wind and are dressed warmly, the cold sort of seemed appropriate for the scenery we sere seeing - sort of like wanting it cold for Christmas. We had a balcony which blocked off the worst of the wind and were able to spend a lot of time there viewing the spectacular scenery. Glacier Bay and College Fjord were especially cold. When you are entering an area there is more commentary by the naturalist on board than when you are leaving. (The don't repeat.) On Princess, their commentary was broadcast on channel 35, so you could hear it from your room. Also, going in, they spot wildlife for you, but aren't broadcasting at all or very little on the way out. You have a better chance of wildlife sightings from the lowest public deck, there the wind is worse. If you do go in May, just plan on dressing in layers (which is recommended anytime) and be prepared with blankets for the public viewing. Take something with a hood to help knock off the wind. In spite of being cold, we LOVED it and plan to return in May with our family in a couple of years.

One of DH's coworkers went in May a year ago, and it reached 98 in Ketchikan.
Old August 3rd, 2003, 01:08 PM
SaraHaynes

Was there in May this year and it was gorgeous! People were swimming the day we were at Glacier Bay. Wore shorts for most of the week. Didn't rain once. Strongly recommend May.
Old August 31st, 2003, 04:56 PM
Passenger

Was in Alaska May 2002. The weather was great! We went to Alaska wanting to see snow in the mountains. We saw plenty but the weather was very mild. The lowest noontime temperature on our cruise was 55F. Many people were in the swimming pools as we cruised Glacier Bay and College Fjord. We had to shed our light jackets in a couple of the towns as we walked (and the ladies shopped). Bottom line...we're going back to Alaska in '04 BECAUSE the weather is so great...and the cruise prices are best too.