Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 2nd, 2003, 02:05 PM
Ilene

Default Railroad and bike tour

Does anyone have any info? It sounds like fun, but have people gotten hurt on this excursion? Thanks for your input.
Sponsored Links
Old August 2nd, 2003, 10:46 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Railroad and bike tour

I myself did not care for the Klondike bike tour. No bike paths and fast moving traffic, very steep areas in places. I greatly enjoy biking about town and on the way out to Dyea.
Old August 3rd, 2003, 04:57 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Railroad and bike tour

Many think this is an accident waiting to happen... cycling down the only main road in/out of Skagway. Also if it's rainy and cold it won't be too much fun as the road becomes slippery. Tour guides keep the pack together so if you want to race down or your an avid cyclist and want to go your own speed, you won't be able to, you have to keep with the pack.

It's up to you and how much you want to do this excursion, you should always think safety when booking any excursion involving physical activity.

I guess I sound really negative about it but the groups we saw doing this excursion looked totally miserable (was a very cold wet foggy day) of course not all days are going to be like this either! I personally don't think it's safe for under 12's on this tour.

On the other hand there are other bike tours that are much safer. We cycled around the coastal trail in Anchorage and had a great afternoon.

Make your own mind up and have a great time what ever you choose.

Cheers
Kim
Old August 3rd, 2003, 08:55 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Railroad and bike tour

We did the Klondike bike tour during our 7/2 cruise. We did have a brief shower but most of the time it was sunny. And the view was beautiful. Did not find that much traffic. We enjoyed it. Just use common sense.