Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 15th, 2003, 04:22 PM
Passenger

Default DOG SLED in Juneau cancelled - Alternative helicopter excurs

Just received a call from ERA that they cancelled our helicopter/dog sled adventure trip in Juneau on 8/31 due to poor weather conditions. MAJOR BUMMER.

They are still offering the 4 glacier adventure tour. Has anyone done this? Is it worth it even though you are on the glacier only 15 minutes?

Other options that RCCL is offering is the Pilot's Choice Glacier Exploration (50 min. flight time, 30 min. for landings) or the Helicopter Glacier Walkabout. (30-35 min flight time & 1 hour on glacier).

I would love any suggestions/recommendations on any of these alternative excursions and which one we should go for.

Thanks much,
Tiffany
RCCL/Legend of the Seas, 8/29-9/5...can't wait!!
Sponsored Links
Old August 15th, 2003, 06:26 PM
Passenger

Default Re: DOG SLED in Juneau cancelled - Alternative helicopter ex

Obsolutely worth it! My husband and I and my sister and her husband traveled to Alaska in July. We took the 4 glacier helicopter trip and they did the helicopter/dog sled trip. Even though they thoroughly enjoyed their trip, when my sister saw our pictures, she said, "Gee, we didn't see anything like that, maybe we should have taken that excursion instead." Bottom line -- views you see from the helicopter are spectacular. The landing is nice and 15 minutes is long enough. You can only see just what is around you.

Diane
Old August 16th, 2003, 12:31 AM
Admiral

Myself, I book all my flights directly. You have some options to consider. A "regular" glacier landing- good bargain has a single glacier landing - usually about 15- 20 mins. can pick these up for about $180, they do have flightseeing over the Juneau icefield. The 4 glacier is longer in the air with more flightseeing. The pilot's choice is a double glacier landing and then there is glacier trekking usually an hour+ ice trekking. Consider direct booking - if still available, will be cheaper, companies to look into- Coastal Helicopters, TEMSCO and Northstar Trekking. ERA usually will not direct book passengers but has booked those with the toursaver coupons. My opinion- this is a "top" and best of the best Alaska excursion.
Old August 21st, 2003, 02:47 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via ICQ to Mich

Hi,

I took the advise of many cruisemates and booked DogSleding out of Skagway as Juneau is cancelled a lot due to weather. We did this and it was the best thing we did. We were extremely lucky with weather, have a look at Skagway and see.

Any helicopter trip is worth it and if you are doing the addon extension and get the chance to do the summit flight over Denali - do it you will not be disappointed.
Mich - just back from Dawn Princess
Old August 21st, 2003, 10:30 AM
jnj

Default Re: Re: DOG SLED in Juneau cancelled - Alternative helicopte

Hi Mitch-

I had a poster tell me the sledding in Skagway is on wheels instead of runners, we don't know which (or really care because how often do you get to Dogsled!!) .

We're going in Mid September thru Alaskatours in Skagway, just how much cold gear should we bring for this excursion??
Old August 21st, 2003, 05:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi jnj,

We took the White PassTrain in the morning, which was kind of boring - then at 1300 we jumped aboard a Helicopter and flew over the Glaciers for a full 30 mins - fantastic. We were dropped off with only 5 other passengers to the dog camp. 250 dogs and 12 or so mushers and a treat was in store. Its true sledging - no runners, real sleds. Our musher gave us a few tips and then we had to go, as he had a fresh team of dogs for us and they were ready to run. The musher had a sled in front and David and I had the sled behind. Great fun. We rode for approx 5 minutes then rest. The dogs dropped to the snow (due to heat) and we were introduced to each one, Back on the run for another 10 - 15 minutes, then rest. More info about the sled, life as a musher and really interesting info on how they keep the dogs up on the glacier for so long. Back on the trail, and heading back to the camp. It was the greatest day of my trip. I am a dog nut, I have Goldens, so I was in heaven. Really really great. We were extremely lucky our entire cruise with weather and hope you get the same. I still have my princess shorex booklet, if you need info about this tour let me know. I just hope that you get to go, they were all commenting about the lack of cold and melting glaciers. For us Australians is was a $1400 day, but who cares, the memories and pictures and film say it all. I have this pathetic grin on my face the whole time.

Regards,
Mich
Old August 22nd, 2003, 08:22 AM
Admiral

I had a poster tell me the sledding in Skagway is on wheels instead of runners, we don't know which (or really care because how often do you get to Dogsled!!) .

We're going in Mid September thru Alaskatours in Skagway, just how much cold gear should we bring for this excursion??

All glacier dog sledding is over out of Skagway- so your trip is on wheels, on gravel- no snow.
Old August 24th, 2003, 04:00 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hi TC,

Had a thought, if you are doing any extensions after the cruise, you maybe able to do some dogsleding out of Fairbanks. We had a guy in the hotel on our arrival with puppies and was signing up people to go sleding. We just did not have time to do any, we were flying out early the next morning, otherwise I would have done it in a instant.

We were with Princess ground tours, I have my own feelings about this.

Mich