Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 24th, 2003, 12:47 PM
Yeoman

Default please help with deciding on a limo and who to use.

i am getting more and more nervous about being able to get to the airport on time and getting through all the security and lines and still make my flight. some of the boards are posting that the lines are very long for taxis and then when you get yvr is is just as bad. i am travelling solo and am wondering if i should set up a limo for myself. it would be pricey but i sure want to get to the airport fast. i have a 1:30 flight out on northwest and are supposed to get into port at 7. since this is my first cruise i have no idea how long it even takes to get off the ship. please help me make a choice. i only have two weeks to go. are there limos there waiting to take passengers without making arraingements before hand. sorry for all the questions and i will really apprieciate any replies. dusty
Sponsored Links
Old August 24th, 2003, 04:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: please help with deciding on a limo and who to use.

Hi Dusty,
I honestly don't see any problem grabbing a taxi when you get off the ship, there are always plenty waiting to take you to the airport and its less money than a limo.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 24th, 2003, 09:24 PM
Yeoman

thanks donna

any good news or posts about getting to the airport are more than welcome.

dusty
Old August 25th, 2003, 07:45 AM
Admiral

Donna- actually there can be extremely long lines for cabs at Canada Place at the cruise port. For better availablity- head upstairs to the Pan Pacific- walk out doors and tip the door man for a speedy cab. If you do go the limo route- have the limo meet you up there as well. The "traffic" downstairs can bottle neck with cabs, cars and buses loading and unloading. I have posted this previous and it is the fastest way to get a cab. Make sure you have rolling luggage or also tip a porter to take your bags up for you - with you following. There is also the possibility the porter may be able to get you a cab- but with a large ship disembarking - probably not.
Old August 25th, 2003, 10:23 AM
Yeoman

thanks karen16

i will run upstairs and pay the door-man a big tip to get a cab. of course i am sure others have this in mind also. i can only hope i get to the airport in good time. i am one that would rather sit and wait for over an hour than be a minute late for anything.

im sure it will work out fine since we are the only ship in that day.
Old August 25th, 2003, 03:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: please help with deciding on a limo and who to use.

Hi Karen,
I beg to differ, we had no problem with getting a cab when getting off the ship. We were actually at the airport in Vancouver at 8:30. We did get early dis-embarkment tags, so that was a big help, but the cabs were lined up and waiting to go, not a problem.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 25th, 2003, 10:01 PM
Mercury Cruiser

Don't worry. We had a 1:55 PM flight and our boat was actually delayed; got into port at 8:30. Even with a long line for the taxis at Canada Place, and an even longer line at the airport for various things, we got to our gate around 12 noon. Have a great trip!!!
Old August 26th, 2003, 04:24 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I have not cabbed out of Canada Place for many years so I am sure it is more crowded now that ever, but I must say that I would not be worried at all if I had a 1:30 flight regardless of what port I was in. I would be much more worried about what to do with all that extra time I have to spend at the airport.

If you are a chronic worrier, I would recommend telling the ship you have an early flight and want to disembark as early as possible. You should be off the ship by 9:00. Even if you wait in line for a cab for 90 minutes (not likely at all, I would guess) you will still make the airport in time.

Out of curiousity, do any of the cruise lines offer transportation to the airport, or are there shuttle companies? It seems to me that if 90% of the disembarking passengers are going to the same place there ought to be other options besides waiting in a cab line.

Sorry, but I don't have personal experience in this area...

Old August 26th, 2003, 07:59 PM
Admiral

Last year when we ended a cruise in Vancouver we were one of the last to get off, (basically we were in no hurry as we were catching a train at 4pm), but we still were off by 10am and walked right to our luggage and then after slowly wandering through the shops there and making some purchases we went to where the taxi's are. There was no real line, just a place to walk to where you lined up for the next taxi as they pulled right in front and loaded one at a time, Very quick and efficient and tipping will not get you a quicker taxi as they take you in order. As it was the delay was less than 1 minute. You have plenty of time and should have absolutly no problem getting to the airport on time. In fact, you will probably have lots of time to spare and shop around for any last minute items you may wish to buy.
Jim

Old August 29th, 2003, 12:50 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: please help with deciding on a limo and who to use.

paul

you are right , i am a worrier and a person who would rather be 1 hour early than 2 minutes late. on one of the other they have a large post going on about how bad the vancouver airport is right now and i just want to make sure i get through all the security and travic without hours of delay. im sure everything will go smoothly and i am just imagining the worst. it has been many years since i have travelled and since 911 i know everything is much more tight with security and leng of time to get processed. thanks for your reply.

jim, im glad you had a smooth time getting to the plane and it has releifed alot of my unneccessay worry. and from what i hear, there are alot of shops and things to do at the airport. i know i am going to have a great time and by the time i get off the ship i will be so relaxed i wont worry so much about getting there.

thanks for all the great post. dusty