Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 25th, 2003, 07:30 PM
First Mate

Default anchorage

We will be arriving in Anchorage a couple days before the train trip to Seward. What sights are "not to be missed"? Any recommendations for restaurants?
Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2003, 01:07 AM
First Mate

Default Re: anchorage

If you have an interest in geological/historical events, there is an interesting Earthquake Park near the former Turnagain Heights. This residential neighborhood was completely devastated in the 1964 Good Friday earthquake. A monument gives an account the destruction and you can still see the remains of building foundations along the trail. Surprisingly, a new housing development is going up on almost the same grounds. [slides from the great Alaskan quake]

Oh, here's a restaurant recommendation posted on another site
Quote:
If it's time for lunch, you will find several hot dog vendors near the intersection of Fourth Avenue and F Street. For upscale dining I suggest Simon & Seafort's on L Street between Fourth and Fifth avenues; the salmon is great. My favorite, the more casual Glacier Brewhouse, is just two blocks east of Hotel Captain Cook on Fifth Avenue. Beer lovers can sample a variety of Alaska home-brewed ales. The halibut is excellent.
I have eaten at Simon & Seafort's, and it is very good.

Post Edited (08-26-03 01:14)

MV Discovery, South Pacific Total Eclipse Cruise
Old August 26th, 2003, 08:04 AM
Admiral

Hopefully you will have a car??? I strongly recommend it. Better than just going to Earthquake Park, if so inclined- bike the Coastal Trail, bike rentals in town and parking garage a couples blocks away- real cheap parking .50/hour Head to the visitor center and pick up a guide book. With a car, head down the Turnagain Arm, just breath taking views and plenty of pull offs to occupy your time. I would also head north- perhaps stop a Eagle River nature center, if interested in native history take the cheap Elkutna Spirit house tour. Going farther- you can glacier hike with MICA- about 2 hours, in the other direction- Talkeetna is always a stop I make- great funky town. So much to do!!!!
Old August 26th, 2003, 10:38 AM
Beginner

museums
Old August 26th, 2003, 11:52 AM
Delores

We rented a car & drove out to Portage Glacier. Beautiful even if it was raining. Also there's a wild animal park out that way, & a ski lodge that was a nice place to stop. We stayed right downtown, & enjoyed just walking around town. There's a huge polar bear in the Hilton Hotel, I believe it was. We also saw a northern lights show that was good. And also there are lots of shops, & the people are very nice. Enjoy your trip, Julie.
Old August 27th, 2003, 10:41 AM
Captain

I agree with the previous posts that Turnagain Arm and Portage Glacier are great. There's a great driving itinerary on www.frommers.com or it may be in their Alaska book. The Frommers guide calls it "one of the great drives in the world." We also enjoyed the Alaska Heritage Center and the zoo in Anchorage as well as walking around downtown (we used the Frommers walking guide). I hope you'll go to Seward early because we had a great boat trip into the Kenai Fjords area there. If you want details, I have them posted on a separate thread on this site, or I can send them directly to you. Have a great time!

Donna
Old August 29th, 2003, 12:20 PM
First Mate

Thank you all for your helpful suggestions. Sounds like we will have plenty to do and see.

Julie