Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 27th, 2003, 08:18 AM
jnj

Default Packing twist..

Ok, so I have the suggested packing list for Alaska in September . My charming spouse refuses to use it.

Last night we were talking about the trip and he stated that he needs to go shopping. He doesn't have enough clothing for the trip. He plans to take 7 pair of jeans, 4 pairs khakis, 3 pair dress pants and at least 12 shirts! (after all, you have to dress for dinner). After I picked up my jaw from the floor and reminded him that the two of us and all our stuff must fit in 121SqFt, he got mad and stormed off in a huff. Granted we're in Seattle for 1 extra day, but this is overkill!

Later, I suggested 4 pair jeans, 2 pair khakis and 1 pair dress pants (and thats too much), a couple sweaters, and a bottle of Fabreze (or lysol). He countered with 6, 3 and 2 with 10 sweaters.

Anyone have any ideas on how to convince my hubby to NOT pack all that stuff. I know he'll overpack anyway ! This excludes the tux AND suit he plans to bring for our one formal night!!!
Sponsored Links
Old August 27th, 2003, 08:36 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Packing twist..

Hi Jnj,
I do see your delema, usually its the other eay around and you'd be packing too much. 10 sweaters, YIKES. I'd cut that down to 3/4 tops, since he'll be wearing some form of shirt underneath, he can wear the same sweater more than once. Also depending on what ship you are cruising on, some have self serve laundry rooms, so you can do a load of wash and cut down on the packing.. Four pairs of jeans are plenty, again you can wear a pair for 2 days at least..

Wishing you the best of luck, may-be after he realizes he may have to actually lug his luggage around, he'l lighten them up?

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 27th, 2003, 01:36 PM
Delores

Good grief!! My husband always says the less the better; in other words, less clothes & more money!! I usually put my clothes in the bag, then take out half of it. And even at that, we never wear everything we take. You usually want to buy a few new things on the trip, anyway.
Old August 28th, 2003, 06:52 AM
Admiral

I am one who never rewears clothes- just my thing and probably this man's as well. Suggest he go to the laundry in Skagway- can be done in a little over an hour with their fast propane dryers. Located 1 block from the shuttle stop, Second and State, down and across from the Red Onion. I always do my laundry here and know the laundry mats all over Alaska. This will cut down significantly on bulk. Don't forget to remind him of the extra fees for overweight luggage???
Old August 28th, 2003, 10:25 AM
John Q

Default Re: Re: Packing twist..

Come on now. This is really for you right? This really is reversed. I'm surprised that someone hasn't recommended wind pants, and vacumn bags to get all of that in a carry on bag! But, really, that is a little on the overkill side. We probably only wore two thirds of what we took or even less. We had way too many long sleeves and heavier sweaters which weren't needed. Jeans can be reworn or washed. Does he rewear anything at home?
Old August 28th, 2003, 11:45 AM
jnj

Default Re: Re: Re: Packing twist..

I only wish it were me.. everyone expects women to have 2 suitcases...

He re-wears jeans for a couple days (he wears them for an hour to and from work, then a uniform at work). Shirts almost never! I am suggesting the laundry to him in Skagway for sure!!

I also use humiliation... When the luggage handlers ask if I need help with my bags, I say no I have just the one. then point to Hubby and say something like "he's the clotheshorse in the family". (the Amtrak guys got a kick out of it last year...)
Old August 28th, 2003, 02:29 PM
John Q

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Packing twist..

wow, that is tough! I always tell my wife that even though we each have same size suitcase, she has more because mine are twice as large as her size 5. But it doesn't work and I usually get stuck with extra shoes in my bag.
Old August 28th, 2003, 09:38 PM
JamieJ

Hi!
We had our boat wash some of our clothes and that was very helpful. Some boats have washers and dryers for passengers to use. If he insists on taking a ton....as long as he carries it and didn't take my drawers, I wouldn't fuss. Not worth putting the damper on the trip!

Have a blast. We did.
Old September 1st, 2003, 07:51 PM
Beginner

the dress pants you need.i took three and could have used more.dinner and shows you want to look nice.12 shirts? i took 8 and didn't have enough.the jeans you can cut down on.they take a lot of space and you can wear them more than once.were men you can't win if you make us cut something out we'll run out just so we can say i told you so.just kidding have fun.
Old September 3rd, 2003, 09:41 PM
mike & jon

Default Re: Re: Packing twist..

oh boy u guys are great! i also have problem with my mate overpacking ...on post cruise trip to tahiti and bora bora last year sent BACK two suitcases and two boxes at cost of over $200 from west coast before trip to south pacific (this is after 17 day panama canal cruise from miami) and now, going to alaska 7 nites, have so far seen l tux, 2 suits, 8 pairs pants, 4 pairs jeans, innumerable shirts/sweaters...AND this on princess with laundry facilities on every passenger deck. somebody help and give suggestions? thanks....
Old September 3rd, 2003, 11:13 PM
Dalen

I have a suggestion. Tell him he can take all he wants, on one condition. He has to iron everything in one ironing session. That is what I do. It is amazing how many items I decide I can do without. Regards Dale.