Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 4th, 2003, 02:19 PM
Passenger

Default Horseback Riding

Asked this Q before but I haven't heard from anyone that has taken the NCL and HAL excursion - Spirit Lake Wilderness horseback riding tour. There must be someone that has taken this tour. I would just like to hear your comments on this tour and whether it was worthwhile taking. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old September 8th, 2003, 08:27 PM
Akalways-Deb

Default Re: Horseback Riding

Not sure if the one I just took is the one to which you refer or not. I will tell you about it and let you decide. We were on the WIND last week and booked this tour through the ship. It was $175 per person. We were picked up at the dock by a van. Drove to Canada just above Carcross. Drive took just over an hour with a stop or two for pix. Arrived at the "resort" I guess you would call it, used the facilities and headed for the stables on premises. Given a brief "horse" lesson (I was the only inexperienced person but it was not a big deal) and off we went. The ride was along a trail, single file and the horses were well trained. No problems. The scenery was incredible and this is coming from a native Alaskan! Weather was great, about 72F.

After the 1-hour ride we returned to the stables, then walked back to the main building for lunch which was included. Everything was homemade and very good.

Then it was a brief walk to the water to pick up the canoes which were the 2-person type. We paddled around Spirit Lake for about an hour. It was great.

Returned to the main building, looked at what they had for sale and headed back to the ship, again, making stops for photos along the way. We saw a black bear cross the road and then into a pond for a quick swim; a coyote also crossing the road and one lonely chipmunk.

This was a 6-hour excursion and well worth it in our opinion.

Any questions, just ask.

Smooth Sailin'
Deborah
Old September 11th, 2003, 05:37 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Horseback Riding

Thanks for your reply Deborah. It sounds different from the tour I took - this tour too picked us up at dockside in a nice new van - we were given safety instruction regarding the horseback ride during our trip - the driver was very good and gave us an excellent narration of the trip and about Carcross and area and stopped for photo ops on the way. The place or ranch I should say is located just past Emerald Lake towards Whitehorse - about a mile or so. The owner had taken great pains to build her property with a rustic western town theme tack shop and blacksmith shop. She questioned us about our horse riding experience and then paired us with a horse according to our experience. The ride was awesome through some beautiful wilderness and then up a hill overlooking Emerald Lake. What a beautiful view of the lake with the Montana mtns in the background and then she took us through the forest - nothing to difficult. It was fun because she let the horse trot faster now and again. Back at the ranch - we headed to the rustic cabin to wash up and then out back to the canvas topped rustic cookshack. She said it was a gold rush theme reminescent of the 98 gold rush cookshacks. We we were served homemade snacks and offered hot or cold refreshments. We were given a white horse pin, a Yukon brochure and her business card. All around it was a wonderful experience and I would recommend it and I would take this excursion again. I am glad you enjoyed your excursion. I may check it out for my self the next time around.