Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 15th, 2003, 12:30 PM
Passenger

Default Alaska wildlife

I had previously seen an article listing what time of year to go to Alaska if you wanted to See wildlife-active, weather to expect during various times. Has anyone seen this article? When is the best time for the most activity?

Old September 15th, 2003, 01:17 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Alaska wildlife

I don't know what the best time is however we've gone in August and have seen Humpback whales, Orca, dolphin, seals, Bald Eagles, and spawning salmon. I felt August was a good choice for us.
Old September 15th, 2003, 09:31 PM
John Q

Default Re: Re: Alaska wildlife

we were on land the last week of May and cruising the first week of June. We saw just about all we could expect, in Denali,lots of grizzlies (15 feet from bus), caribou, moose, sheep/goats, lots of marine wildlife in Kenai Fjords, Juneau whalewatching, many more eagles in Ketchikan. There may be more in July and August but we were more than satisfied.
Old September 16th, 2003, 11:28 PM
Admiral

Prime wildlife has always been a slight edge to mid- late August with the full salmon runs. But the wildlife season is clearly May- Sept. so base your choice on other factors too. For clairfication- tours are necessary for any significant wildlife viewing with Denali Park the best bargain around especially the shuttle system with Eielson my min. distance in. But be aware- these are interior brown bears and not the double size coastal salmon eating bears. Late season- Sept. may have opportunites out of Haines to see them fairly cheaply otherwise those trips can be very costly.
Old September 22nd, 2003, 09:37 AM
jnj

don't know how accurate any of the articles are, I think it's just luck. We just got back and ran into many people on our excursions going the opposite of our routing. They told us where to look for seals/whales/bear, etc as they had seen lots of them (we saw their digital pictures so they weren't lying...) We passed thru 3 hours later and not so much as bear poop or seal tracks to be seen!
Old September 22nd, 2003, 11:19 PM
Admiral

don't know how accurate any of the articles are, I think it's just luck

Yes "luck" does have a lot to do with it, but there are plenty of ways to edge your bets and organized tours are the way to go. I am a long time Alaska wildlife watcher and have had many many great rewarding experiences- none guaranteed but having contacts and knowledge of trends can really pay off.