Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 6th, 2003, 10:53 AM
Passenger

Default seward

I am planning an alaskan cruise for May 2004. I really like the seward to vancouver route. My problem is finding an airport flight into seward. My airport from Kansas City does not have any flights going there. Is there no airport in Seward? How do I get there? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old October 6th, 2003, 02:55 PM
First Mate

Default Re: seward

You fly into Anchoridge and take a bus or train to Seward I believe.
Old October 6th, 2003, 10:44 PM
Admiral

No planes to Seward, you fly in/out Anchorage. If you go with Princess, it would be in/out Whittier. Seward is 125 miles from Anchorage, you transfer between the 2 via car (only rental is Hertz, with costs up to $200+/day), rail- cruise train around $99, or Alaska RR regular train leaves at 6pm for $59, or my last choice would be bus. This is a very scenic transfer, but I wound never consider any one way trips without at least 5 additional days independent interior touring, 7 on a cruisetour. So much to see and do that is very worthwhile. It is costly in time and money in/out of Anchorage not to take advantage. Otherwise a round trip Vancouver is another great option. Don't consider any one way trips without College Fjords, not even worth going otherwise.
Old October 20th, 2003, 03:37 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Re: seward

According to the latest Frommer's Guide on Alaskan Cruises, College Fjord is nice, but isn't as significant of a sight as other areas. I think we are looking at a one way from Seward to Vancouver, without College Fjords. It seems like the trip will still be worth every bit of it to us. If I am wrong, I'd like to hear, but we'll be seeing Hubbard Glacier, Skagway, Juneau, Icy Strait, Ketchikan, and Inside Passage.
Old October 21st, 2003, 12:54 AM
Admiral

Have to disagree. I would never consider any one way cruise without it, College fjords is definately spectacular and Alaska IS GLACIERS.
Old October 21st, 2003, 07:41 AM
kimba_99

Absolutely agree with Karen16.
I would always recommend to other first timers not to miss College Fjord and/or Glacier Bay, they were the highlight of our trip (done for the scenery not the ports).
College Fjord; many great glaciers to view and IS quite significant...also some wildlife viewing including SEA OTTERS.. very cute IMO..
and Glacier Bay is spectacular and you may get lucky and see puffins and whales while there too...

Read some reviews from other cruisers who have been to Alaska and do some more research before you decide.

Cheers,
Kim
Old October 24th, 2003, 08:55 AM
Captain

Default Re: Re: Re: seward

I also agree with Karen16. The College Fjord scenery is spectacular, and we saw more whales from the ship (we did a separate whale-watching excursion from a smaller boat) in College Fjord than anywhere else. In fact, I think we enjoyed College Fjord more than Glacier Bay, although both were wonderful.