Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 8th, 2003, 12:15 AM
Passenger

Default Well I did it

I just booked my first cruise ever. Going to Alaska in May 2004 aboard the Norwegian Sky. I am so excited I can't sleep . Already making packing lists.Told hubby he is getting cruise clothes for christmas. How do I wait???
Sponsored Links
Old October 8th, 2003, 09:30 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Well I did it

Hi Cindy,
Congrats on the booking. Best thing to do while waiting for cruise time, visit these boards, come chat with us, it does help in between those cruises!

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 8th, 2003, 04:50 PM
Captain

Donna's correct. You'll get a ton of information from these message boards. Keep reading.

You may want to go to the book store and find a book on Cruising in Alaska. There are a couple that are good. You can study up on what sites you'll be seeing on sea days and learn about the ports and learn some history.

The more you know the more you'll enjoy the trip IMHO.

I was on the Sky for our first Alaskan cruise and loved her. Don't pay to much attention to some of the anti-NCL comments you'll read on many of these sites. The Sky's a beautiful ship and the service/food/entertainment was great.

If you'd like send me a direct message and I'll send you some photos or answer any questions you may have about the ship.

Oh, don't buy hubby too many clothes.....The Sky is notorious for bad storage space. One gripe that's sort of true.
Old October 8th, 2003, 05:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Well I did it

You can also read through the Alaska planning guide, I found a lot of information, things I had no idea about, enjoy:

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...index_orig.cfm

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 9th, 2003, 05:08 AM
Admiral

Also head to your library and take out all the Alaska touring books, no need to buy them, include THE MILEPOST. For even more detailed info, request each city's visitor guide, informative and listed with plenty of activities for port touring.
Old October 9th, 2003, 10:58 AM
Passenger

I don't have any good advice, since I just did the same thing! We will be on Diamond Princess May 8-15, first time ever cruise.

Following another person's advice I have reserved all the Alaska tour books at the library, and ordered a free travel guide from the state of Alaska.

Princess offers a mile by mile guide to Alaska with maps, maybe your cruise line has something similiar?

I have also started a notebook (quickly outgrew a folder) of stuff I've found on this website, helpful articles about first timers and Alaska.

I'll be thinking about you, another first timer waiting for May!

Sonja
Old October 9th, 2003, 08:38 PM
Sabrina G.

Congrats on your first cruise to Alaska! We just got back from a cruise to Alaska on the Celebrity Mercury; it was a fabulous experience. I spent a lot of time researching shore excursions while waiting for our cruise to start. These message boards were quite helpful, as well as books. We loved it so much and it was great for our kids! Can't wait to do another cruise.
Old October 10th, 2003, 12:18 AM
Admiral

Following another person's advice I have reserved all the Alaska tour books at the library, and ordered a free travel guide from the state of Alaska.

The state tour guide is not enough, too general. As stated above in my post, request each city's visitor guide.