Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 4th, 2003, 10:53 AM
Passenger

Default white pass train

I have read alot where folks take the train up and then come back by bus. That interests me but I can't find that option on the cruise line page or the white's pass page either. How do I arrange that type of excursion?

Old November 4th, 2003, 11:32 PM
Thoth

Default Re: white pass train

The cruiseline SHOULD offer the train as a shore tour. That's how I booked. Everything was prearranged and the trip well worth the money! If you cannot find it online, perhaps you could call.
Old November 5th, 2003, 12:29 AM
Admiral

Looking at last seasons NCL shore excursion list - it is there. They should again offer it next season as this is a popular tour.
Old November 5th, 2003, 12:56 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: white pass train

Yes they still offer roundtrip train excursion. What I am asking about is the one way train,return trip by bus? I am not finding info on this. Has anyone taken that and can they tell me how I book it?

Old November 5th, 2003, 09:50 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: white pass train

The site I found for NCL shore excursions has it. It's called the White Pass, Bus, and Camp trip, it was I think $130.

You might also look at visitor information for Skagway, they list independent tour operators, I didn't look at all of those.

Sonja

Old November 5th, 2003, 10:07 AM
Admiral

As I posted, ,your tour of interest is listed on the shore excursion page on the NCL board. You need to look at last year's list since this coming season's isn't out yet.
Old November 6th, 2003, 03:23 PM
Familiar Face

I have a 2004 White Pass brochure. It says nothing about what you are talking about. The closest thing is the trip to the end of the train line in Canada. I guess you could take a bus back, but ti looks like you have to book it on your own, separately. It's really non-descript.

It sounds like you are talking about the summit trip, right?

Celebrity Summit
Seward to Vancouver
Old November 7th, 2003, 06:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to maryann
Default Re: Re: white pass train

The train comes right to the dock in Skagway and you board there-if you take the ship's tour. If you do it on your own, you have to walk up to a boarding spot ( not far ) and buy your tix at the depot., then the train takes you up the canyon (nonstop) and back.

We took Chilkoot Tours a 16 pass. bus up the same rout e(with photo stops) for $32 pp, went to the cemetary(Soapy Smith, etc.), no extra chg. gold panning- and on the way back - stopped at the 'welcome to Alaska 'sign for pix. Can't do that on a train ! This was in Sept. this year. Didn't want a crowded bus or train. Loved it!
Old November 8th, 2003, 01:35 AM
Admiral

I have a 2004 White Pass brochure. It says nothing about what you are talking about. The closest thing is the trip to the end of the train line in Canada. I guess you could take a bus back, but ti looks like you have to book it on your own, separately. It's really non-descript.

For clairfication- this is a SHIP tour, not a tour direct booked via the White Pass RR.

Also for clairfication- the train route and the Klondike Highway only parallel within view only a couple miles. They are not the same and scenery is superior from the train. A major reason to consider the train is the history, engineering, and scenery. I strongly recommend a pm train tour and getting to the Park Service visitor center in the am. All the information gathered there will greatly enhance any later trip. You can also buy your train tickets direct online, but be aware of cancelation fees. You board at the depot, there is a shuttle from the ship area to the same block.