CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Alaska (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/)
-   -   serenade of the seas, alaska cruise (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/247144-serenade-seas-alaska-cruise.html)

catherinekembrey November 7th, 2003 04:08 PM

serenade of the seas, alaska cruise

We are going to book on the serenade of the seas alaska cruise in september 2004. has anyone sailed on her?. we have been offered a cabin on deck 2 next to the elevators, (we call them lifts in australia). will this be noisy. We are not booking a balcony cabin since i figured it will be raining some (all) of the time..... what do people think about the cabin next to the elevator / and no balcony?

Donna November 7th, 2003 04:47 PM

Re: serenade of the seas, alaska cruise

Hi Catherine,
I'd re-think about booking a balcony cabin, especially in Alaska. We only had one afternoon of rain in Juneau the entire week we cruised up there. The scenery is absolutely breathtaking, you don't want to miss a thing, a balcony for Alaska is an almost must if you can handle it, don't think you'll regret the extra expense.

We really did spend a lot of time out there with the binocs and just watching the beautiful mountains, dolphins and even spotted killer whales, and would of missed a lot of that by not having a balcony..

Anyone else agree with me?

PeterC November 7th, 2003 06:02 PM

I sure agree. I'm a "Must have balcony for Alaska" cruiser. I do what you do. Sit and absorb the nature and beauty. We've gone 3 times and made sure we were in a covered balcony so even on the rainy days we could still sit out and enjoy.

I would think if you're main reason for cruising is eating and gambling and bingo and shows you wouldn't need a balcony.

We're so spoiled now I'll never go on another cruise without a balcony.

dozer183e November 7th, 2003 11:52 PM

I think about 85% of the people will tell you that a balcony is a must. We booked an inside cabin for our cruise next summer for budgetary reasons. There were three things we wanted, but we figured we could only afford two of them; a pre-cruise trip exploring Denali, breathtaking shore excursions, and a balcony to sit and watch the views. We thought the balcony was the least important of the three, because we'll only be in our cabin to do the three S's. Who wants to look at a whale in their underwear anyways? ;-)

So yes, I think a balcony would be cool, but not at the sacrifice of other cool stuff. There are plenty of public places on the ship where you can sit and enjoy the scenery. But if someone gave me the extra cash for the balcony, I wouldn't turn it down.

Karen16 November 8th, 2003 12:51 AM

I am a cheap inside cabin Alaska cruiser- spending all my sailing time out on the front open decks. (always dressed appropriately - which a lot of people just are not prepared for) My priority is marine wildlife viewing and you need full front viewing for max. sightings- not side viewing. I was totally unsatisified with only 50% of the viewing with my 1 outside cabin. For me- my money goes toward my second yearly Alaska trip and great excursions always including flights. I still go for less than most, as I haven't paid over $500 for a cabin since 1998.

LEtue November 8th, 2003 01:52 PM

" I still go for less than most, as I haven't paid over $500 for a cabin since 1998 "

That would be $250 pp for a 7 day cruise... Did you mean $500pp?

Karen16 November 8th, 2003 10:45 PM

Yes very sorry- $500 pp, but one trip was $350pp- a deal indeed. $475 this last trip. 9-1