Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 18th, 2003, 08:05 PM
Kate Ryan

Default Inside Passage vs.Gulf of Alaska

I am surprising my husband for his 40th birthday with a cruise to Alaska. I can't decide between the Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas( roundtrip from Vancouver) or the Princess- Island Vancouver to Seward. We are going at the end of July without our children. Is the additional ports on the one way voyage worth an extra 3 hours on the plane (coming from NYC).
Sponsored Links
Old December 18th, 2003, 11:45 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Inside Passage vs.Gulf of Alaska

My opinion only- but I would never consider any one way sailings without at least 5 extra days interior touring. It is costly in time and money in/out of Anchorage not to take advantage of being all the way there. There is no extra port on the Island??? If you are referring to Whittier- nothing there. (Princess doesn't go to Seward) Don't worry about a round trip if it fits your plans better- there is plenty packed into 7 days with 3 wonderful ports and a great glacier viewing day- a great value. Perhaps make the one way trip another time when you can add another week?? Again, my opinion only.
Old December 19th, 2003, 11:32 AM
Kate Ryan

Thanks for your opion, that's exactly what my travel agent said. The extra stop was College Fjord. Princess goes to Glacier Bay and disembarks in Seward(Anchorage) vs RCCL going to Hubbard Glacier.
Old December 19th, 2003, 11:45 AM
Admiral

College fjord is not a stop- it is a sailing past glaciers- excellent day of scenery. Again- Princess does NOT go to Seward- it goes to Whittier. About an 1 1/2 hours SE of Anchorage. (counting "tunnel" time). Some RCI sailings don't go to College Fjords- again my opinion only, I wouldn't consider any one way without it. Just such a scenic sailing day to have.
Old December 19th, 2003, 02:59 PM
Kate Ryan

thanks for your info. I think I'll stick to the Vancouver round trip. I didn't realize College Fjords wasn't a stop. Have you ever been on the RCI Radiance?
Old December 20th, 2003, 12:12 AM
Admiral

nope
Old December 23rd, 2003, 09:08 AM
Donna Hill

I agree with Karen16--the College Fjord/Prince William Sound area is spectacular, and I'm glad we didn't miss that. We liked it as much as Glacier Bay. Hope you have a great time.
Old December 24th, 2003, 01:07 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Inside Passage vs.Gulf of Alaska

Kate,
You'll love the Radiance. Never been to Glacier Bay but Hubbard was spectacular. We'll make sure we hit Glacier next time.

richard
Old December 26th, 2003, 08:35 AM
Sara Haynes

We sailed on the Radiance and thought it was a poor choice for Alaska. Royal Caribbean just doesn't do Alaska as well as Holland and Princess. Holland and Princess have a lot of information sessions on the ship relating to Alaska and also has a naturalist on board. It is obvious they do Alaska right and have a lot of history doing Alaska. Royal Caribbean just stops at the ports. It was a huge disappointment for us. We also prefer Glacier Bay and College Fiords.
Old December 26th, 2003, 08:46 AM
Carson

Definitely do the one way -----it is so much better then RT from Seattle or Vancouver. I also wouldn't choose RCCL or Celebrity since they don't go to Glacier Bay and College Fiords and are considered last choices for me for Alaska due to lack of naturalist. Radiance may be a pretty ship but it is definitely lacking in Alaska.