Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 3rd, 2004, 10:03 PM
tmcgrew

Default Need Help Selecting a Cabin

I posted this question on the "Practical Advice" forum a few days ago and someone suggested I use the "Alaska" forum for more feedback. Since my first posting I have narrowed my selection down to HAL Zaandam for a 7 day Inside Passage cruise to Hawaii (departing from Vancouver). A nice cabin with balcony is a high priority for us. This will be our first cruise to Alaska and only our second cruise overall. Does anyone have any advice on selecting a cabin. Which side of the ship should I select ? Is it important ? I've also been checking availability over the past few days and mid ship may be my only option. What do others think about mid ship ?
I've been reading the many postings the past few days and they have been very informative and very helpful. I appreciate any advise you can offer.
Thanks !
Sponsored Links
Old January 3rd, 2004, 10:43 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Need Help Selecting a Cabin

I assume this is a transPacific cruise??? So the suggestion for less movement is low and center. If motion won't be problem (take precautions if it is), then any midship cabin would be acceptable. How much "Alaska" is there on this cruise??? Probably most of your sailing will be open ocean- with it not mattering what side of the ship?
Old January 4th, 2004, 11:17 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi TMC,
As long as you have that balcony for Alaska I don't think the actual location onboard will matter that much. Some of the inside passage, you can see land on both sides for a long time and if its nice, you'll be up on deck too a lot. Its just nice to get up in the morning and go out on the balcony and take a look, its wonderful. As for being mid-ship, thats also a good spot to be at, easy to get to other areas of the ship, close to elevators/stairs, etc. I think just having a balcony would be my top priority and being mid-ship is also good too, enjoy!

Alaska is a once in a lifetime place, but I sure hope to get back again sometime, its absolutely beautiful!

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 4th, 2004, 02:10 PM
tmcgrew

Default Re: Re: Need Help Selecting a Cabin

Hi Karen,

This cruise leaves Vancouver and cruises past Tracy Arm, then to Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay then Ketchikan/Misty Fjord, then cruises the Inside Passage back to Vancouver. I'm thinking starboard side might be best but that's only a guess. What do you think ?
Thanks.
Old January 4th, 2004, 08:07 PM
Admiral

Your orginal post has a Hawaii reference???? Sorry for the long winded open ocean comments. It really doesn't matter what side, views are varied enough to offer each side something. Just plan on being out at a front deck at least part of your glacier sailing day. Side viewing is limited and the full front is spectacular.
Old January 4th, 2004, 10:47 PM
tmcgrew

Default Re: Re: Need Help Selecting a Cabin

Good grief.....I didn't catch my error when I re-read my message before posting. I have no idea why I typed the word Hawaii. My mind must have been elsewhere.
I meant to say an Inside Passage cruise to Alaska. I'm sorry to have confused everyone.