Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 24th, 2004, 03:02 PM
Default Train from anchorage to seward

We will be staying in Anchorage for 2 days before we debark on June 25th on Summit. In the past, I have read about a train ride from Anchorage to Seward - how far in advance should we make reservations - what is the name of the train and how to I locate the website - and I recall reading that one side of the train is better than the other for views?? Your help is appreciated. Terri
Sponsored Links
Old January 24th, 2004, 09:30 PM
SF Sharon
Default Re: Train from anchorage to seward

There are two ways you can do this train. You can book it with the Alaska Railroad and travel according to their regular schedule, or you can book the same train with your cruiseline (usually referred to as the Cruisetrain when done this way). It may cost a bit less if you book directly with the Alaska Railroad, but in most cases the train booked through the cruise line will leave at a time that might be more convenient for you, especially if you are not an early riser. Furthermore, if you take the Cruisetrain, all of the people on the train will be your shipmates and it's a great way to get to know them before boarding the ship. Not all cruise lines book an entire train, but I know that Princess and HAL do. We did this same route last summer with HAL. We were happy to spend two days before our cruise in Anchorage. There is a market on Saturdays in Anchorage that was a lot of fun.
Old January 25th, 2004, 05:21 AM

We are doing it on our own. Go to Alaskarailroad.com and they have all the info. It does leave early, at 6:40 am from Anchorage but then you get into Seward early. If you do it on your own, I believe there are no assigned seats etc. Cruise train you have a seat # and specific times for food. Price is 59$ on your own and 99$ is what RCL quoted us.

Caribbean Princess
Old January 25th, 2004, 06:19 AM

ARR assigns seats. But you have the ability to move about- vestuble and dome car. As above there is a big difference in price, but no transfers. If you are staying downtown Anchorage add about $10++ and another $5+++ in Seward. I would suggest the ARR Seward arrivals consider taking an 11:30am Kenai Fjords boat trip. This will be your only opportunity for varied close up viewing of marine wildlife and birds. The boats are back at 5:30pm, plenty of time to still get on your ship. Frankly with only 2 days in Anchorage- early rising won't be a problem- you'll probably will still be on your home time schedule. BUT anyway- it is indeed well worth it for the cost and the ability to get into Seward early. If you do go on a boat trip- just cab your bags directly to the ship, properly tagged and leave them at the ship. Have the cab wait and then head back to the boat dock.

alaska, anchorage, ancorage, breakfast, cost, cruise, forums, line, prebook, price, rcl, ride, seward, ships, side, train, trains