Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 27th, 2004, 12:42 PM
Passenger

Default cruise lines

Which cruise line should my family go with? Last year we cruised with RC (voyager) to the caribbean and were very happy with it. We have two children (13 & 14) that will be going with us. I'm interested in the inside passage cruise.
Sponsored Links
Old January 27th, 2004, 11:33 PM
Admiral

Default Re: cruise lines

Any cruise will have a kids program, look instead at other factors- time in port, glacier, route, PRICE. Budget for costly excursions- a necessary part of Alaska travel in my opinion.
Old January 28th, 2004, 02:00 PM
Passenger

Hi--

My entire extended family went on a Royal Caribbean cruise to Alaska last summer. Everyone seemed to enjoy themselves, including the teens in the group. They sail round trip out of Vancouver--I believe Radiance leaves on Saturdays and Serenade leaves on Sunday. Both are very new ships, should be a good experience.

The other option that might be good is one of the new princess ships. Although many people complain that they like ships out of Vancouver rather than Seattle, Seattle to me is more convenient, and seeing most of Alaska is still great. The best thing they have with regards to families is 4 restaurants you can go to involving personal choice dining. If it were me, I'd go with Princess just for that reason alone, but my kids are difficult in eating so convenience in eating is a big deal with me.
Old January 28th, 2004, 03:49 PM
Captain

IMHO for a first Alaskan cruise choose a ship that visits Glacier Bay.

We've sailed to Alaska on NCL, HAL, and Celebrity and enjoyed all 3. Celebrity however doesn't visit Glacier Bay.

We found the trips from Vancouver were more scenic than Seattle however the Seattle route was beautiful in it's own right.
Old January 29th, 2004, 06:11 AM
Admiral

A major negative with RCI is no ship naturalists. A necessary benefit for first time Alaska visitors. I have to disagree- my clear preference is for inside Vancouver Island sailing- very few of the Seattle trips do it. Especially for the return trip it is a highlight of marine wildlife opportunities, my opinion only.
Old January 29th, 2004, 08:00 AM
Felton

The Inland Passage is not to be ignored. We left Vancouver [after having stayed at a B and B for the weekend] on Princess. Glacier Bay is a MUST see. We stayed at Seward for an extra two days [ Wind SOng Lodge] rented a car and drove to Talkeetna. There we stayed at Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge. Both are owned by this group:

http://www.ciri.com/about_ciri/tourism.htm

and they are very serious about providing good service.
Old January 29th, 2004, 12:40 PM
Familiar Face

Cindy..

We have a group leaving aboard The Norwegian Star leaving 6/27 round trip from Seattle. This itinerary is through the Inside Passage and does include Glacier Bay...

If you join our group, we offer great rates which will save you money that could go towards excursions and such!

Please let me know if you would like more information!
Old January 29th, 2004, 06:44 PM
inmyworld4ever

I would go on a Princess ship. If u r thinking about about it go 6/12 on Diamond, cause I'm looking 4 ppl with teens around age 14!
Old January 30th, 2004, 01:20 AM
Familiar Face

NCL offers freestyle dining with a total of ten resturants to choose from. They're no set times for meals eat.. when you want and what you want.

Princess does the outside passage when leaving r.t. from Seattle and does not include Glacier Bay on its itinerary..an absolute must when cruising Alaska for the very first time.
Old January 30th, 2004, 07:38 AM
Admiral

I totally agree- the NCL Star has the only acceptable Seattle sailing in my opinion. A great match for those who don't want the transfer to Vancouver and certainly makes great use of time.
Old February 8th, 2004, 08:56 PM
Patrick roddy

Default Re: Re: cruise lines

My family and I are just starting our research for an Alska cruise but we have determined the date and it is the same as your group. We are a couple in our 40's with two girls ( ages 17 and 10). We like activity and educational opportunities on our vacations. I would be interested in getting more information abou your group bookings.
Old February 8th, 2004, 10:28 PM
SF Sharon

I just took a look at the Norwegian Star's itinerary from Seattle, and I agree. It's an excellent itinerary. The prices I saw, though, are quite high compared to other more highly-rated ships.
Old February 8th, 2004, 11:53 PM
Admiral

Prices are all over. Perhaps post an ad on this site's bargain finder board and see what may be available. I booked my cruise last season through it and was very pleased with what I got- Sun Princess 9-1 sailing- $475 inside.
Old February 9th, 2004, 01:59 AM
Familiar Face

Our rates are as follows:

Inside: $849.00
Oceanview: $1059.00
Balcony: $1359.00

Shipbaord Credit: $50.00 per cabin.

If this sounds good to you..please feel free to e-mail me for further details..
Old February 26th, 2004, 10:34 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: cruise lines

Hello Karen,

We want to go on an Alaskan cruise in May/04. Can you refer me to the people you booked with? I am looking for a bargain. Your help is appreciated.

Evelyn
Old February 27th, 2004, 04:51 AM
Admiral

Post an ad on the cruisemates bargain finder board- cruise shopping. AND keep checking.
Old February 27th, 2004, 07:36 AM
Roger Duke

Don't overlook Carnival! Spirit goes Northbound out of Vancouver. We are going 8/11
Old February 27th, 2004, 09:26 PM
Admiral

The problem with carnival is - my opinion only- it lacks adquate open front deck space. New this year it goes to 4 ports and only College fjords. Choose carefully. they do have a ship naturalist.
Old February 28th, 2004, 09:33 AM
Passenger

Another thing that we had to look at was the availability of pools, when you have kids. We had pretty much decided on Celebrity when we discovered that there are no outdoor heated pools (and on an Alaskan cruise, you need it heated if it is outdoors!) and the only indoor pool is adults only (in the spa). We had to cross Celebrity off the list and start over again.

Sheila
Old February 28th, 2004, 06:20 PM
kalinky

Default Re: Re: Re: cruise lines

Hi Evelyn, we booked our cruise with Vacations to go.com and got an excellant price for
a Balcony suite with H.A.L. The 90 day ticker will give you the best prices on their web site. However I booked our flight to Anchorage and the hotel room myself at a much cheaper price and have better accomodations than the agency could provide.