Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 30th, 2004, 08:52 PM
Diane D.

Default Skagway car rental

WE are sailing on the Zaandamn July 17-24. I have already booked the Capt. Larry excursion in Juneau and the misty fjords flight in Ketichkan. But was considering renting a car in Skagway and striking out to see a little of the area not quite so structured. Has anyone out there rented? If so where did you go? Did you enjoy the scenery? Did you find some place for lunch. We will be there from 7:00 A.M. till 9:00 P.M.
So we will have plenty of time to see the town and take a nice drive. Anyones previous experience would be more than helpful!

Thanks so much Diane
Sponsored Links
Old January 31st, 2004, 12:10 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Skagway car rental

Yes several times. RESERVE now as cars are in short supply, cancel if you later change your mind. Avis is the only major rental, independents- PB cruises and Sourdough. Only one road- the Klondike Highway- on the way out of Skagway- there is the gold rush cemetery, Dyea road- a short stop at the Slide Cemetery if of interest. Many pull offs on the Klondike. You can eat in Carcross. I recommend going 75 miles to Emerald Lake and return- scenery drops off significantly after there. Unless Whitehorse is of interest- there is a Harley Shop there. it probably isn't worth the 100 miles round trip. The scenery is superior from the train at the summit. I strongly recommend before heading out- stop by the Park Service visitor center- see their free attractions. It will greatly enhance your later drive. Located at Broadway and Second.
Old February 1st, 2004, 08:16 PM
B Biddle

Karen hit the hnail on the head. I took her advice last year and drove to Emerald Lake.
It was worth the trip alone. We also ate in Carcross. We rented a van from Avis with another couple. The price was about $75.00. Not bad for four people. We also left some time to tour the downtown.Great historyin Skagway.
Have a great trip.
Old February 3rd, 2004, 12:25 PM
Diane D.

Default Re: Re: Skagway car rental

Karen ,Thanks so very much for all the great info. I took your advice and called Avis today and resvered a car. Do you know anything about spirit lake lodge I assume its at emerald lake . Suppose to have fantastic pies along with the meals. Its at the turn around point thought it might be a great place for lunch. Where did you all stop in Carcross for lunch. was it good? I was wondering what kind of time should we allow for a leasuriely drive with lunch up and back? We can get the car at 8:00 A.M.
Thanks again ,people like you willing to help make our vacations so much better.

Diane
Old February 4th, 2004, 12:57 AM
Admiral

http://www.spiritlakeyukon.com/

I recommend BEFORE you head out of Skagway definately stop at the Park Service Visitor center mentioned above. Carcross has a cafe- but I did not get there last year so verify current information. Explore north- has a great Yukon web site.
Old February 8th, 2004, 04:10 PM
HarleyCT

There is no lodge at Emerald Lake. There are a couple of lucky people who have a homes there but no lodge. I have never heard any comments about that lodge you are talking about. In Carcross - there is cafe at this place called Montana Services and also I believe - another eatery at the place behind the tourist visitor centre right downtown Carcross. You really can't miss it. If you really want an excellent view of Emerald Lake - stop at the ranch just past Emerald Lake toward Whitehorse - they have a horseback tour and you get an awesome view of Emerald Lake way back on the hilltop looking toward Carcross.
Old February 8th, 2004, 05:33 PM
Diane D.

Default Re: Re: Skagway car rental

Thanks for the info. I contacted Spirit lake Wilderness Resort. And was informed that they're located 10 minutes north of Carcross. There web site is spiritlakeyukon.com.
One of the tours out of skagway stop there for lunch, suppose to be famous for there pies. I don't know if there is a view or not. Thanks for taking the time to rspond!

Sincerely Diane,
Old February 9th, 2004, 01:19 AM
HarleyCT

That's too bad - you'll be missing out on an excellent adventure and some excellent service. Like I said - hardly seen anything about the place you are going too but definitely heard a lot of excellent reports on the Yukon Horseback tour with Southeast Tours.
Old February 9th, 2004, 10:48 PM
Admiral

Spirit Lodge gets good reviews too. I have heard from people who greatly enjoyed the canoeing.