Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 1st, 2004, 03:03 PM
Passenger

Default Carnival v. Royal Carribean

My husband and I are trying to book a cruise to Alaska in late August/Early September. We are torn between Carnival Spirit and Royal Carribean Serenade or Radiance. Neither of us has cruised before. I thought once I looked at the brochures, my mind would be made up but I am even more confused now than ever! Also, any advice on booking airfare through the cruise line. Seems pricier through the cruise lines.

We are in our mid to late 40's. We want to be on a ship with people in our age group. We don't want to party all night, but we don't want to be in our room by 9:00 either! We are regulars at Sandals Mo Bay. Looking for a ship that would compare (lively, our age group, awesome staff), but wanted to do the Alaska cruise this year. HELP!!!!

Old February 1st, 2004, 07:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Carnival v. Royal Carribean

Hi Diane,
From what you wrote I'd suggest Radiance of the Seas. Absolutely beautiful ship, especially for Alaska, lots of glass and windows. They even have elevators where you can see the "sea" while going up/down. WE were on Radiance last year and I still think its the most beautiful ship I've sail on.

Enjoy Alaksa whatever ship you book, that alone is something worth seeing.

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 2nd, 2004, 12:19 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Carnival v. Royal Carribean

You are looking at 2 totally different routings, Carnival is one way- Vancouver/Whittier and the RCI ships are round trip Vancouver. It make a big difference on flights and if considering a one way- add days to tour the interior. Comparing the two- neither goes to Glacier Bay, the Carnival has 4 ports and only College Fjords. RCI has Misty fjords sailing on the Seranade- DON"T be having dinner during sailing- get out on deck for the great views. There are no party ships yet sailing Alaska- so late night activities are less than what you will find in Caribbean sailings. For me everything I go to Alaska for is OUTSIDE the ship and early mornings can be a big bonus. Be certain to budget for costly excursions- you get only half a trip without them. As for air- I never use cruise air myself and always book direct. Compare options- and factor in all transfers- included with cruise air. Allow $25++ cab from Vancouver airport and if going one way- at least $59pp for the Alaska RR Seward/Anchorage. With the one way- look under "multi city" option on flight booking sites- you don't want one way tickets. Once you narrow down your choices repost for further information.