Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 3rd, 2004, 04:42 PM
Yeoman

Default Sitka if not on itinerary?

Is it possible to get to Sitka and back while docked in Juneau or Skagway? We would really like to see Sitka, but would like to go on Princess. I know something good will be left out no matter what we choose, but I want to have my cake and eat it too.

Carnival Inspiration
Sponsored Links
Old February 4th, 2004, 12:59 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Sitka if not on itinerary?

Not unless you want a charter flight??? Frankly, I would make my choice based on a Sitka port stop if that is a priority, since a lot of time will be eaten up on the flight, transfers etc. . If you are going one way- Carnival stops at all 4 ports but only glacier is College Fjords. Alaska is a multi trip destination.
Old February 4th, 2004, 10:57 AM
Sea Wings

Hey Linda want to trade cruises? We have the same problem in reverse. . We want Skagway but are getting Sitka. I was investigating the same thing as you only in reverse. Please tell me what entices you about Sitka. Maybe I will feel better about our port stops then.
Old February 5th, 2004, 09:52 AM
Yeoman

Sea Wings, we want to see Sitka for two reasons. 1 is that Sitka is very Russian and has a great eagle preserve. Sitka appeals to my whole family more than any other one port. The other reason is that we already saw Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan and would like to see something different. There is some kind of objection on the part of various family members to all the ships that do go there. I guess we'll have to decide what is more important to us, Sitka or the other objections.
Old February 5th, 2004, 01:04 PM
Sea Wings

Default Re: Re: Sitka if not on itinerary?

That might explain it then. We have never been to Skagway and really wanted that train ride. We have heard it was not to be missed. Other than the eagle preserve you mentioned in Sitka, we do not know what else to do. Thanks for your answer.
Old February 5th, 2004, 01:33 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Re: Sitka if not on itinerary?

The White Pass Raidroad trip is great! Also, a helicopter glacier landing is a "must do" for Alaska. We did that in Juneau. It is well worth the cost!
Old February 5th, 2004, 06:35 PM
HannaS77

I assume you have not booked your cruise yet. I believe that Princess Cruises will have a number of ships plying the Alaskan waterways. We have visted Stika and Skagway many times and enjoyed both. Are you aware in Sitka the cruise ships anchor in the bay(or harbor) and you are tendered in. The bigger the ship, the bigger the passenger , load the slower the tenders to shore. Many of the days we visted Stika, it rained and when it rains in Sitka and Skagway, often the rain down noty come down but pours sideways.

If Princess has no cruises stopping in Sitka, why not try Celebrity or Holland America. Their ships are in the same class as Princess.
Old February 6th, 2004, 12:38 AM
Admiral

Everything I go to Alaska for is OUTSIDE the ship. I make my ship selection last depending on several factors, ports, time in ports, glacier, route, price- then the ship that fits best. But ideally, Alaska is a multi trip destination- be happy with what you get and keep open further travel there for something new. ALL cruises pack a LOT into the 7 days, make the most of it.
Old February 6th, 2004, 09:13 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Sitka if not on itinerary?

HannaS77,
Does Celebrity have a naturalist onboard for the whole cruise? I have read several times that they only have the naturalist during specific parts of the cruise. We learned so much from the narualist on board Princess and saw so much that we would not have noticed without her pointing out what to look for and where and when to look, that we consider that to be a prime consideration.
Old February 7th, 2004, 01:31 AM
Admiral

Yes Celebrity does have a naturalist, RCI doesn't.
Old February 10th, 2004, 03:01 PM
Felton

Not to put too fine a point on it, but Sitka is just like every coastal town on the cruise.

Lots to see during your cruise, but if you miss Sitka, you'll not miss out.