Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 14th, 2004, 05:49 PM
Beginner

Send a message via ICQ to RosieC
Default ALASKA ANYONE IN 2005?

Hi all a bunch of us are planning on going to do the Alaska cruise in summer 2005 ... anyone else lol and any helpful info on tours ... ships etc etc very needed lol . I have cruised a lot but never to Alaska.

Sponsored Links
Old February 14th, 2004, 11:38 PM
Admiral

Default Re: ALASKA ANYONE IN 2005?

Scroll back and read back the posts. They will give you an idea of what direction to take. Basic will be one way or round trip cruise. If one way- strongly consider adding at least 5 days to tour the interior.- It's a long and costly way there not to take advantage. Choose from touring interior vs tours. BE very informed on any land tours- plenty not mentioned. When selecting ship- consider route, ports, time in ports, glacier - price. Be certain to budget for excursions- you get only 1/2 a trip without them. Most everything I go to Alaska for is outside the ship. Be an informed traveler!!
Old February 29th, 2004, 10:03 PM
HarleyCT

I agree with Karen16 - search the message boards - this board and cruise critic too. There is alot of information - people just don't take the time to do a search before they post a question. There's a guy called "Yukon" who is from Carcross - he is a local resident there and has lived in the Yukon for many years and he has a lot knowledge about the Yukon. Since the highway runs through the Yukon he can help alot. He has a website called www.Explorenorth.com - check it out and see if there is information there that can help you, otherwise I am sure that Yukon will help you as much as he can with what he knows about Yukon and Alaska travel and local lore and such. That's my 25 cents worth.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 10:34 AM
Yeoman

The itineraries and prices for 2005 aren't out yet, so you'll have to wait to make firm plans. They'll probably start coming out next month and the last out will be mid to late summer.

Carnival Inspiration
Old March 6th, 2004, 12:43 PM
HarleyCT

You can at least check out excursions - independent excursions for interest - the prices for them remain relatively the same. Check out each port - see what's available and you can compare it with the info listed with the cruise lines.
Old April 10th, 2004, 01:56 AM
Yeoman

rosie

i am already booked on the carnival spirit ( again ) for may 2005. i went through
cruise connections and got a great quote. also the ships are showing 2005 itineries now. i like the spirit because it goes into the inside passage ( closer to the shore than out at sea ) and has the glacier bay cruise ( which i will be on ) twice a year. in may and sept. also the spirit had more better times in the ports i thought. all of the ports are very walkable and easy to get around in. i loved the little shops and historical things to see in each port.

i had a awesome whale watching tour with capt. larry out of junoe ( we saw lots of whales ) and had a fantastic floatplane ride over the jfords with michelle of island wings in ketchikan. there are plenty of things to do that cost little or nothing at all. dolly varden has great packages and tours in each port. i did not pay any money for a salmon bake tour since i could get all the food i wanted for free on the ship. www.skagwaysbesttour.com has free waking tours and info for you. you are going to love alaska. it is beutiful and the scenery is breathtaking. take lots of film and dress more casual for the cruise except for formal night. cruisecritic.com also has tons of ifo on alaska and all the ships. have a great time. dusty