Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 17th, 2004, 09:13 AM
Diane D.

Default Vancouver Hotel

Does anyone have a recommendation for a hotel for Vancouver for just one night prior to departure the next day,
With a good location that we might pick up a city tour before boarding the ship on Sat.
Would like a pretty nice Hotel.
Thanks for any and all input!
Sponsored Links
Old February 17th, 2004, 10:04 AM
SLICK

Default Re: Vancouver Hotel

We just booked the Sheraton Vancouver Wall Center through hotwire.com for $79.00 per night. Really, really, really nice hotel - 4 plus star rating. It was a special deal that hotwire was offering. Unlike priceline.com, hotwire gives you alternatives and prices before you book. You do not find out the hotel until after you book but you do find out the area and you see the price. We used priceline.com for Anchorage. However, the best deal we could get was the Sheraton for $125.00 per night. I would try hotwire first and see what you can get.
Old February 17th, 2004, 10:42 AM
Yeoman

The Pan Pacific is right on the Canada Place dock. You just walk downstairs with your luggage and get in line to board. It is very nice (5*) and is pretty central to many attractions.

Carnival Inspiration
Old February 17th, 2004, 05:09 PM
Captain

I know that a lot of people don't want to pay the $$ for the Pan Pacific, but my husband and I decided to go for it, and it is a WONDERFUL property. This hotel is listed in all of the top 200 hotels in the world for good reason. I'm sure there are other nice places to stay, but if I only had one night there, I would bite the bullet and do it because it is FABULOUS!!!!

Happy traveling,
Donna
Old February 20th, 2004, 11:30 PM
Diane D.

Default Re: Re: Vancouver Hotel

Checked out the Pan Pacific as you all suggested. Looks like it is just the ticket on all counts but one, with taxes its over $400.00 a night. So any other suggestions would be most appreciated. Would love the Pan Pacific. But I cant' justify that expense for about 20 hours.
Old February 21st, 2004, 11:50 AM
Yeoman

Remember that prices are listed in Canadian dollars. I think it worked out to be around $300 American.

Carnival Inspiration
Old February 21st, 2004, 01:17 PM
HarleyCT

I heard about a hotel called the Fairmount that might be reasonable. It might not be right down on the docks but it is in the area that's close to the docks. You can rent cars fairly cheap - with Rent-a-wreck. We rented a Plymouth Breeze for a reasonable price I think it was $300.00 Canadian for about 10 days but that was a while ago. The car was clean and in good shape and we did not have any problems with it. If you don't want to rent a car - a cab is cheap enough! Stanley Park is closeby and you can walk along the seawall. Mind you - you have to get there either by walking or take a cab down or bus.
Old February 22nd, 2004, 04:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

The Sheratin Wall? They failed me miserably on two occasions. (the second was complimentary, the result of scew ups of the first). My departing memory of the Sheratin Wall is the 20 minutes it took me to get my bags from the front desk after checkout to where the cabs are just one floor away. Spanking new but poorly designed (in my humble opinion), never mind all the other problems I encountered.

Many big name stars stay at the Sutton Place Hotel when in town and there must be a reason for that. Denny's is right across the street but I don't think that's it. It's probably quality and the security. I've never stayed but always glowing reports from those I know.

The Hotel Vancouver is a few doors down might be of interest. It's designated heritage and it's a wonderful Vancouver landmark. It's a former CPR hotel so just look for the green roof. Staff, I think, give tours of the building. It's probably the best suited, too, for people with not much time but wanting to walk around and discover things. A sailor's church, Robson Square, the lobby gallery of the HKB building, Vancouver Art Gallery & fountain, and more, are all just across the street from this marvelous old building.

If it's just a day or two, I'd say not to worry if you miss Stanely Park. It's just a big green park. It's lovely, but you may find it eats a lot of time.

Martin
Old February 23rd, 2004, 10:03 AM
Admiral

Actually- I think in Vancouver for a bargain - Priceline is the way to go. I have NOT heard of any disappointing "wins" there, and mostly significant deals. Just choose the downtown Vancouver location. Anything is just a short cab ride away.
Old February 23rd, 2004, 09:12 PM
Jeannine

Entertainment rates are available at Pan Pacific, that is they only way we were able to afford to stay there, it would 50% off. It was the best hotel my husband and I had ever stayed at anywhere..
Old February 24th, 2004, 09:56 AM
Felton

I LOVED the B&B we stayed at. O Canada house

Walking distance from downtown
Old February 24th, 2004, 12:02 PM
HarleyCT

Felton - How much was that for a night? Whereabouts in the downtown area is it located?
Old February 24th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

The Fairmont Hotel Vancouver is a beautiful hotel. I world choose it over the others anyday. The Hotel Vancouver is part of the Fairmont chain of hotels. There is also the Fairmont Waterfront which is located directly across from the Canada Place pier, directly opposite the Pan Pacific hotel. It's just a luxurious and not as expensive.
For more info here's the link to their site.

http://www.fairmont.com/FA/en/CDA/Ho...,3903,,00.html
Old February 25th, 2004, 09:07 AM
Captain

We had friends that stayed at the Fairmont Waterfront, and we visited in the hotel and in their room, and it is decidedly not as nice as the Pan Pacific. That is misinformation. There is a reason why the Pan Pacific is always in the top 200 hotels in the world. If it's out of your range, there are other options, but if you want the best, the Pan Pacific is it. We have traveled extensively worldwide, especially in Europe, and this hotel is great.

Happy traveling.