Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 1st, 2004, 12:03 PM
zniedda

Default First-Time Alaska Cruiser

My husband and I just booked our first cruisetour to Alaska and we are soooo excited! We sail on the Dawn Princess on 7/19/04, then head to the Princess Copper River lodge for 2 nights, the Denali Princess lodge for 1 night, and then Fairbanks for a night. Anyway, I see some really great ideas and suggesstions on this board, so I thought it would be fun to challenge you all to help me plan the perfect vacation. We are going to be in so many ports and there's so much we want to do, but we don't know which port is better for what. It would be great if you Alaska veterans would give us your opinions as to what activity you recommend at each port. We really really appreciate any advice you can give us and we thank you in advance for taking the time to help us plan this lovely, eagerly anticipated journey!
Sponsored Links
Old March 1st, 2004, 11:40 PM
Admiral

Default Re: First-Time Alaska Cruiser

My opinion only- a 4 day cruisetour has too much time in transit compared to at the destinations. You are at least 5 ++ hours to Copper River then back at least another 6 to Denali Princess. Most likely you have the Natural History tour included?? This is a mistake if you want to see Denali Park and wildlife, only a 3 hour tour getting in 16 miles (the park runs a free shuttle to same place). You need at least the Tundra Wilderness tour- mile 53. Denali Park is usually a highlight for a lot of people and especially seeing Polychrome Pass is spectacular. Definately add at least another day in Fairbanks- with a rental car. It is a shame to come all that way and only pass through. Is there at least the Native Heritage Museum included in Anchorage?? Again a worthwhile city to see. As for excurisons from the ship in ports- look over a shore excursion list and narrow down your interests. There are way too many good recommendations. Budget fully and skimp elsewhere- tours are what make Alaska travel. Happy planning.