Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 9th, 2004, 01:25 PM
Passenger

Default Float planes & helicopters

We are planning an inside passage cruise to Alaska this summer and are trying to decide on shore excursions. The float plane and helicopter trips really sound exciting BUT being the chicken that I can be, I am anxious about their safety. I am also assuming that the cruiselines probably use companies with the best accident records. Any expert advice on where to get this information? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old March 9th, 2004, 05:16 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Float planes & helicopters

Thousands and thousands of people do flights in Alaska, me included so this is my biased opinion. Sure accidents can happen and you can't predict the future- unfortunately. The cruiselines use companies that agree to their contracts. There are MANY long time excellent venders in Alaska that are not ship contracted who have excellent safety records. SO I disagree the ship contracted operators are any better than non. Flights aren't for everyone. Determine if this is something you can ENJOY. If not consider other options. Flight operators I recommend- Helicopters- TEMSCO, Coastal Helicopters, Floatplanes- Southeast Aviation, Carlin Air, Island Wings. If you are interested in flights, contact them directly and ask hard questions about their safety records and policies.
Old March 9th, 2004, 08:34 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Float planes & helicopters

Thanks for the recommendations and your prompt response. I do understand that accidents occur. However, I am more concerned about getting off the ship and climbing into a plane or helicopter with someone who I really don't know anything about such as their safety record. I know that would bother me. I was thinking that we would probably be better off booking through the cruiseline as they would use reputable people. I am not afraid of flying just want to know that the person doing the driving knows their stuff.
Old March 9th, 2004, 11:45 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Float planes & helicopters

AS mentioned- inquire.