Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 19th, 2004, 06:34 PM
virgincruiser

Default Your top 5 best buys in Alaska

What are the top items to buy in each port? What have you all bought and loved, or kikced yourselkd for not buying and are still longing for?? I am deciding on how big a suitcase to pack. I am strongly thinking of packing my smaller one into a larger one and going home with 3 instead of 2.
Sponsored Links
Old March 20th, 2004, 12:11 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Your top 5 best buys in Alaska

Ulu knives are popular, native artwork and I always bring back Alaska Jack and McKinley candy bars for my coworkers and family (probably long sick of them by now ) Nice photo on the wrapper. I'll be writing to my nephews classes next week with postcards. Hopefully detailing my winter adventures.
Old March 20th, 2004, 12:17 AM
Jamminlion

Salmon. You can probably pick up the 'coupon books' or 'tour books' on the pier, and will find great deals on all sorts of souvenirs.

Definitely the salmon if you have the chance.

My husband and I also collect Christmas ornaments from each of our trips. Then every year we can reminisce about all of our adventures!

Happy sailing!
Old March 20th, 2004, 03:13 PM
Passenger

Be careful with the suitcases. American Airlines wanted to charge us for a 3rd suitcase coming home from Anchorage. Their limit is (or was?) 2 per person. You may want to double-check before you go so that you're not surprised by a surcharge. The good news is that you usually can have a carry-on plus a briefcase/laptop/backpack/purse.

Diamond Princess...Can't Wait
Old March 21st, 2004, 04:28 PM
Yeoman

i bought the most gorgeous ammilite ring in ketchikan. ammilite is a shell that is found in the alaska area. look it up on the net. i love it. look for the great photo albums that have a map of alaska on the outside. they only cost about $10 and are a great place to put all the pix you will take. have a great time.
Old May 10th, 2004, 08:32 PM
3 things

I LOVE Alaska and try to get there at least once or twice a year, but my favorite things to bring back...

5. A piece of clothing (a t-shirt from U. of Alaska at Fairbanks, Anchorage or Southeast OR an Alaskan "vest" - great for wearing in AK or at home OR a GREAT place to shop for socks for cold weather or gloves!)
4. A piece of original art (some great artists in AK!)
3. A book about Alaska (in Anchorage it's easy to go to Barnes and Noble or Borders and look through the Alaska section and find great things to read AFTER you come back home to relive Alaska...
2. Cheap souvenirs like pens - things that you can use when you get back home and have a brief moment of memory about Alaska! We love the free pens from The Turtle Club (a great local restaurant in Fairbanks) and all sorts of cheap things from the bookstores at the University of Alaska campuses.
1. Ok, I'm hooked on Alaska - and my favorite thing is a current Milepost ($25ish guide to every town and mile of road in the state!)
Old May 11th, 2004, 01:37 AM
First Mate

I bought a wine glass with a moose on it from the Purple Moose... heh. I'm not much of a big shopper. Oh, a calendar too. Alaska isn't a shopping-heavy destination, unless you like the local art. I spent all of my money on silly things, like helicopters and float planes!

Denise
Old May 11th, 2004, 11:05 AM
rshillman

Will be visiting Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan...I collect hand crafted pottery from the artists. Are there any shops to find local pottery artists?
Old May 11th, 2004, 08:36 PM
3 things

Default Re: Re: Your top 5 best buys in Alaska

Ketchikan and Juneau have several cool places we've enjoyed...

http://scanlongallery.com/bliss/bliss1.html
http://www.alaskanart.net/

http://www.juneauartistsgallery.com/...eryArtists.htm
http://www.juneauartistsgallery.com/
http://www.angelfire.com/ak3/efs/index.html

http://www.evonzerbetz.com/ (we love this guy's work - not a pottery guy)

http://www.doctormojo.com/cgi-bin/fp...owLargePicture (look at the bottom of the page)

http://www.traveljuneau.com/planner/shopping/index.cfm

Juneau has some great galleries but I've never been there with thousands of tourists...

Happy hunting!
Old May 13th, 2004, 02:04 AM
Yeoman

i bought a gorgeous ammilite ring in ketchikan ( ammilite is a shell found in the alsakan waters ). if it has blue in the colors you have found a very rare color combination. this next trip i am going to buy an authentic russian nesting doll. i found the one i loved last sept. and didnt buy it because i thought i really didnt need it. but this time i am going to get one. i love nesting dolls and will add the perfect one to my collection of katchina dolls from arizona.

Old May 13th, 2004, 06:47 PM
Yeoman

Dusty,
Can you get the ammilite rings at most stores in Ketchikan or only one or two stores?
Aso what is a nesting doll? Thanks.

Luanne

Old May 13th, 2004, 11:48 PM
Yeoman

luanne

most of the jewlery stores have ammilite. make sure you get a certificate of authenticity. nesting dolls are dolls that start very small and get bigger by 'nesting inside each other. you can buy 5 up to 10 dolls that go inside each other untill it is a big doll on the outside. i hope you can picture what i am talking about. think of putting bowls inside each other for storage. they are beautiful and a investment i hope. good luck and look for the ammilite at all the shops.

Old May 14th, 2004, 08:08 PM
Yeoman

Thanks Dusty. I will look for them. They sound cool.

Luanne

Old May 14th, 2004, 11:42 PM
Yeoman

luanne

im sure i did not do them justice in my discription. look them up on the net under russian nesting dolls. they are really gorgeous and so neat the way they all fit into each other. the one i wish i had bought was a lady doll that was in a white wedding dress and she had silver designs on the dress. it was beautiful. and had 12 pcs which is alot of dolls and a little more intricate. check them out. i found alot to choose from in ketchikan.

Old May 15th, 2004, 01:06 AM
Sea Wings

Default Re: Re: Re: Your top 5 best buys in Alaska

Hi Dusty
Both of those items sound good for gifts that I have to buy. Can you give me a ball park figure on each one? Thanks
Old May 15th, 2004, 01:16 AM
Yeoman

sea wings

i got my ring for around $70 and the nesting doll was aproximatley $150. both were well worth the money. i love my ring and wish i had bought the doll. next may i will get the doll for sure. i collect kechina dolls ( hopi and navahoe spirit dolls from arizona), so a russian nesting doll will fit right in for a unique and interesting collection collection peice. have fun deciding which one to get if you decide you buy one.

Old May 18th, 2004, 02:49 AM
EMW

I definitely recommend stopping in at Terry Pyles' gallery in Ketchikan mentioned above by 3 things in this URL: http://www.alaskanart.net/

He does some very nice art and his reproductions which he makes himself are very affordable. I bought a nice picture of Creek Street.