Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 26th, 2004, 08:02 AM
Passenger

Default Floatplane excursion??

We are cruising to Alaska in May and we want to take a floatplane trip in Ketchikan. I am considering two options. Does anyone know anything about Island Wings or Carlinair? Any information would be very helpful. They both seem to have very good experienced pilots and good tours. Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Old March 26th, 2004, 09:03 AM
jq

Default Re: Floatplane excursion??

If you look back on this site and Cruisecritic you will find thousands on this subject. Michelle runs Island Wings and is very good and personable. We took her Misty Fjords flight in June two years ago. We had nice flight, landed on small lake, had a short break on island for pictures and enjoying. Plus tons of eagles right next to her dock.
Old March 28th, 2004, 01:43 PM
Yeoman

i flew with michelle of island wings and it was awesome. she is a fantastic pilot. the flight was wonderful and we landed on a lake. she is an expert of the area. we stayed there for about a half an hour and saw were bears have been and the eagles were so plentiful. when you go on one make sure you look down at the water when you get started. you might be lucky enough to see some whales. either michelle or carlen are good trips.
Old March 29th, 2004, 05:29 PM
Judy & Vicki

Hi! What time of the day were these floatplane/fjords trips? We are concerned about fog hindering that trip as we have 7:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. in Ketchican (in May). Thanks for any input. Judy & Vicki
Old March 30th, 2004, 08:05 AM
Passenger

I found that most of the flights leave around 11:30 a.m. or 1:45 p.m.
I called island wings and carlinair and they were both very helpful. Try calling them and see if they can fit anything into your schedule.
Old March 30th, 2004, 10:52 AM
jq

Default Re: Re: Floatplane excursion??

I think our flight was for about 12:00, but they were late picking us up and when we go to their dock, they were still finishing the one before us and we left about 1/2 hr late but got our full flight time. It was great, but I think fog is a possibility for Misty Fjords. If you call or email, I am sure they can tell you.
Old March 30th, 2004, 07:56 PM
Deb & Dave

Because of all the positive kudos, I did a search for Island Wings Alaska and placed an email inquiry to them for our time in Ketichan. It was our only port/land cruise stop that I did not have an excursion. They called me at home last week and gave me the info for when we would be in port. We are booked for a 10 am out of Ketichan. They were great on the phone answering all my questions. I can't wait to go