Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 3rd, 2004, 11:26 PM
Ivette Yoder

Default Helicopter Price Differences

I have been looking at helicopter tours with glacier landings in both Juneau and Skagway. It seems that Skagway's Valley of the Glaciers tour is much cheaper than those offered in Juneau. Maybe it is because the tour duration is shorter. Is the quality of the glaciers you get to see any different between the two ports? I am leaning towards saving some $ and doing this in Skagway... If you've done helicopter glacier landings in Skagway and Juneau, did you see a significant difference?
Also...I've heard Temsco offers helicopter flights in Skagway independently from the cruise line. Their tours are cheaper than the cruise line's...is there a reason why I should go with the cruise ship excursion rather than booking independently. We will be in Skagway from 5:00am till 8:00pm so I don't think there's any way we would miss the ship's departure. Thanks for any input. Planning is so complicated! :o)
Sponsored Links
Old April 4th, 2004, 10:41 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Helicopter Price Differences

Did you also look at Coastal out of Juneau? They are usually the cheapest in my experience. Myself, I never book ship excursions and always direct in Alaska. Glaciers are in a constant state of change - so any experience is excellent. I have flown out of Skagway but most of my trips have been out of Juneau.
Old April 5th, 2004, 12:01 AM
Ivette Yoder

Thanks. Humm...I just looked at the Coastal Website...it's true, one of their tours in Juneau is actually cheaper ($180pp) than the one at Skagway with TEMSCO. In Juneau we are doing Capt. Larry in the AM until 12:30pm and our ship departs at 4:00pm out of Juneau so I think I would be cutting it a bit short if I decide to go on a helicopter tour after the whale watching in Juneau. However, I e-mailed Coastal and they said that they could arrange it so that we make the ship's deadline...Decisions, decisions....;o)
Old April 5th, 2004, 10:28 PM
Admiral

Orca Enterprises and Coastal- shuttle and drop off for each other. If you are in port early, perhaps look at going on the helicopter first?? A great deal will depend certainly if you want to see Juneau if you are a first timer? TEMSCO is a well run company- look into booking direct out of Skagway- probably a longer port time??