Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 5th, 2004, 11:02 PM
Chris123

Default Backcountry jeep safari

I am taking my first Alaskan cruise in May on Princess. Has anyone done the backcountry jeep and canoe safari out of Ketchikan? Is it worth the money or am I better off taking the Misty Fjords floatplane tour for a better experience?

Also, I was thinking of taking the Mendenhall Glacier Float Trip in Juneua. I'd like to see the Glacier but I would also like to see wildlife. My only experience with whale watching was in San Diego and we were so far from the whales the experience was disappointing. Is the Alaska whale watching any better? (Family won't do helicoptor tours). Does anyone have any suggestions?

Finally, was thinking of taking railroad trip in Skagway. Am I better off taking just the train trip for $95 or one of the combo trips that includes a motor coach tour into the Yukon for $169? What else is there to do in Skagway?

Would love some advice!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old April 6th, 2004, 11:07 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Backcountry jeep safari

Definately the Misty fjords float plane, no comparism to the canoe/jeep tour. Consider independent with Southeast Aviation, Carlin Air or Island Wings. For clairfication- the Mendenhall Float trips do not have close or extended views of Mendenhall glacier. The bulk of the trip is trees and backyards. It is a tour I do not recommend, my opinion only. Also NO wildlife. You are also not comparing similar whale watching. You were viewing migrating whales very very different viewing then where they are at their feeding destination- Juneau Auke Bay. And yes certainly- way different viewing opportunities. As a side- you will see Mendenhall glacier from the Auke Bay docks and on your transfer there. If you go with my preferred vender- Orca Enterprises- they may be able to drop you off/pick up at the glacier visitor center. This makes very good use of time.
Skagway- you will see more with a train/bus combo, but I would suggest only the longer buses that go into the Yukon, rather than the shorter bus routes that return to Skagway from the summit. As for what to do in Skagway??? Plenty- request their visitor guide www.skagway.org for great ideas. You will need to look for the gems but they are there.