Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 6th, 2004, 09:27 PM
Passenger

Default Customs Entering Canada / U.S.

Looking for reports of recent experiences for Americans going to and from Canada WITHOUT PASSPORT. We don't have passports, and everything I've read says we just need original birth certificate and picture ID, but has anyone had trouble without a passport? We'll be entering Canada at the Vancouver airport, prior to boarding Dawn Princess there. We're also thinking about visiting the Yukon while in Skagway, but don't know if we'll have hassle with crossing over and back while there.

What's your experience been?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old April 6th, 2004, 10:24 PM
Captain

Default Re: Customs Entering Canada / U.S.

We had no troubles in either case. Canadian customs at the airport was very efficient. No delays at all by using birth certs.

When going thru US customs on the way back towards Skagway, we were on a tour van, we weren't even checked. Agent looked in and waved us on. It might be different if you're in a rental and on your own.
Old April 10th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Admiral

It's easier just to have a passport. The last time we did the Vancouver thing, they were on the picky side, probably due to all the foreign nationals.

Old May 1st, 2004, 09:14 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Customs Entering Canada / U.S.

It's not "easier" to have a passport when it costs almost $200 per couple to get them. We would rather exclude the Yukon shore excursion than to have to pay that kind of money for something we'll never use again. (This is our once-in-a-lifetime trip, celebrating a 50th anniversary.)
Old May 2nd, 2004, 09:41 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Customs Entering Canada / U.S.

My prior experience when flying into Canada, was to have a "raised seal" copy of your birth certificate. Think it cost us $5.00 years ago. We have since gotten our passports. But I do believe it has to be a raised seal. Then you should have no problem. You should have no problem just getting across the border, especially if you have that.
Hope this helps and enjoy!
Old May 2nd, 2004, 11:45 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Customs Entering Canada / U.S.

I didn't have any problems without a passport either time.

Carnival Spirit to Alaska
Old May 2nd, 2004, 07:05 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Customs Entering Canada / U.S.

Gosh u 'folk's' sure are luckier than I was. As a Canadian entering the US I wldn't even try without a passport anymore - was warned I wld likely be turned back or at least be hassled and I did see some who, while not turned away, were hassled and detained, a few up to a hr or more, on my cruise last fall to Alaska. It's just as bad crossing from BC to Washington state too (had to spend 1/2 hr being questioned and finally offered my last cruise - port of entry - which they could access as proof of citizenship and had drivers license etc. too from BC) - No fun since 9/11 and 'they' say life is what u make it - don't fall for that one. Happy cruisin'!!
Old May 2nd, 2004, 09:46 PM
Passenger

Thanks. This is the current kind of information I was looking for. We have raised-seal birth certificates, but they're kind of old (so are we!); you have to tilt it to see the shadows on the seal. Then, too, my name has changed since birth; hopefully the marriage certificate I have is the necessary documentation to prove that I'm the same person on the birth certificate. (I wouldn't say this to anyone too uptight, but everyone knows what a security risk us old folks are!)
Old May 5th, 2004, 04:59 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Customs Entering Canada / U.S.

Hi Cruisebee - yah I know what u mean about the oldsters being dangerous being one myself - why think of the damage I could do with my cane if I could just move my legs and arm high enough - darned arthritis spoils everything....Happy cruisin'!!
Old May 5th, 2004, 06:23 AM
SarahJ

Passports are just easier! And they come to less then $10 per year to have one. I would hate to say I am not leaving the country for 10 years and not get one.