Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 7th, 2004, 07:48 PM
Maureen O

Default Best Alaska cruise for parents

We want to send our parents on a Alaska cruise for their 50th. My Dad has bad knees and will need to bring his scooter with him. He can walk for short distances. My parents are pretty casual and wouldn't enjoy too many formal dining requirements. They are both into nature and wildlife so that would be the focus of the trip. They would like to travel in May or June of 2005. Any suggestions on what cruiselines would best meet their needs. They are very social and enjoy all kinds of people. Thanks for any information you can provide. This will be their first cruise.
Sponsored Links
Old April 8th, 2004, 08:38 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Best Alaska cruise for parents

I would check into Celebrity or Princess for the parents, although on both they will find 2 formal evenings, but they are really nice and worth going to. We did a round trip from Vancouver on Celebrity Infinity and thought it was perfect. There are so many to choose from, you may want to read through the 2004 guide to Alaska:

Alaska Overview

Let us know what you decide on, OK?

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 9th, 2004, 01:20 PM
Admiral

HAL has supurb deck viewing and offers the "smallest" ships sailing Alaska. For any wildlife- tours will be necessary. How much time are you allowing and are you looking at round trip or one way cruises??
Old April 10th, 2004, 07:22 AM
Maureen O

Default Re: Re: Best Alaska cruise for parents

Donna and Karen, Thanks for your imput. We are still in the planning stage. I was wondering in the one way going deeper to the north is better than the round trip from Vancouver. I also looked at Seattle round trip. I am reading all of the information posted on these boards and learning alot. Thanks again Maureen
Old April 10th, 2004, 11:05 PM
Admiral

The one ways are an excellent adventure especially with planning additional time for interior Alaska touring, 5 days my min. , my opinion only. My preference on a one way is to include College Fjords (some don't) and having a Seward over Whittier embarkment. My preference is also for southbound for the last sailing day back to Vancouver. Can be loaded with marine wildlife viewing- BUT requires a great deal of time invested to see it. Seward has excellent opportunities for varied wildlife not seen in the numbers or closeness on a Kenai Fjords boat tour, and I always go on one.