Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 13th, 2004, 01:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Seattle or Vancouver/Anchorage

i'm searching options for an August departure. RT airfare to Seattle from Chicago is much less than a Chicago/Vancouver/ Anchorage/Chicago, so considering a RT 7 day cruise from Seattle to Alaska

Seattle RT Alaska cruise certainly is more affordable and more convenient it seems, but would I be missing a lot??

Comments
Sponsored Links
Old April 13th, 2004, 01:52 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Seattle or Vancouver/Anchorage

PJ,
There have been many posts about tis subject but let me try and sum it up.

1. Seattle- Ships that go from this port tend to use the 'Outside' route to Juneau [first port of call] This means that on the outward and inward voyages- you sail on the outside of Vancouver Island. Not much to see this way until you get to Alaskan Waters .

2. Vancouver.- All ships go the Inside Passage route between Vancouver Island and
the mainland and this is a much more interesting route [in my opinion] I have sailed both ways and would choose Vancouver every time.

You mentioned the airline into Vancouver is more expensive tan into Seattle.

However, the options of getting to Vancouver from Seattle are many including a shuttle from Seattle Airport to Vancouver, rental car [one way] railway. etc.

I always use the rental car and stay outside of Vancouver [its cheaper unless you use priceline]

All in all you have many choices but air into Vancouver should not be one of them in my opinion.. Its too expensive etc.

Let us know what you decide and have a safe and happy cruise.

Lu
Old April 13th, 2004, 09:11 PM
Whiteknight

I have traveled that route before and there really isn't that much difference between going to Seattle and then taking a shuttle to Vancouver or going directly to Vancouver via air, if you know the right place to purchase your airfare. For instance, America West (americawest.com) cost $299 to Vancouver and $267 to Seattle for a difference of $32 which the shuttle would cost, at the very least not to mention the added inconvenience. As far as the airfare to Vancouver from Chicago and the return from Anchorage to Chicago, it's only $399 on America West and even less if you're over 61 years old. You just have to know the in's and out's of the airline game.
Old April 14th, 2004, 12:46 AM
Familiar Face

There is a couple of exceptions tho..one being the Norwegian Star. This ship leaves round trip from Seattle, stays within The Inside Passage and even goes to Glacier Bay.
Getting to Vancouver from Seattle is an inconvenience both price and timewise.
Old April 14th, 2004, 07:05 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Seattle or Vancouver/Anchorage

We have had this discussion before but at the risk of repeating myself

Norwegian Star out of Seattle shows on the voyage picture -exactly what you say-it appears to go 'inside 'between Vancouver Island and B.C mainland.

However and you should consider this...

Ships that leave Seattle and are in Juneau 36 hrs later must by necessity go the outside route.... [Pacific Route]

It is almost impossible to get to Juneau [as the Nowegian Star is ] as the first port of call if you go the 'traditional 'way- as ships out of Vancouver do. in that amount of time

Tides at Seymour Narrows determine the passage and time of ships using the 'Inside'route and my understanding is that Seattle departures run a risk going this way ,of being unecessarily delayed.

I may be wrong and hope that someone on this trip will post afterwards and tell me so.

It certainly would not be the first time I have been wrong and I am sure it wont be the last

Lu