Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 25th, 2004, 02:20 PM
zniedda

Default Extra day in Vancouver?

We sail on the northbound cruise out of Vancouver on 7/19 and are thinking about arriving a day early so we have some time to spend in Vancouver. What do you feel is a "must see", and is it worth spending the extra time in Vancouver, or should we arrive the day of sailing? Any comments and recommendations are appreciated.

Thank you!

April
Sponsored Links
Old April 25th, 2004, 09:40 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Extra day in Vancouver?

i really enjoyed the suspension bridge (alot of people didnt get across it but i did ) and stanley park is a nice place to spend a few hours. grouse mt. is also a great place to spend some time and see the bears and totem poles. also granville market is a fun place to see and taste all kinds of different food and especially fruit. they also have wonderful wines there for a good price. i bought some and took it on the ship for the cabin.

there is alot of things to see and do in vancouver that can take up a day and you will have alot of fun. go to www.bcpassport.com and you will be able to see all the things there are to do and see in vancouver. have a great time.

Old April 26th, 2004, 12:54 AM
Admiral

The downtown loop buses make good use of time and are convenient. I also like taking the sea bus over to North Vancouver.
Old April 28th, 2004, 06:51 AM
Passenger

We visited the Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge and Park. It's free, although the suspension bridge is a little shorter that the one at Capiliano. At Lynn Canyon there are some nice walking trails, too. I think a must see is a trip up Grousse Mountain. You take the tram up and the views are wonderful. There are also some beautiful trails here. There are 2 black bears on "exhibit"...they were injured and have been "nursed" back to health, but will remain on top of the mountain for their well being. They have made quite a new home for the bears with a fairly natural setting for them and a small pond for them to swim in; all inside a large fenced in area. Also here, there is a lumberjack show and a few other exhibits. If you do go to Stanley Park, the horse drawn carriage ride was a nice way to get around for a short overview of the Park. I could go on, but these are some of the highlights we had!! Enjoy!
Old April 28th, 2004, 04:10 PM
zniedda

Default Re: Re: Extra day in Vancouver?

Thanks for all of the info. I have booked the extra day and am all set to go. I will make it a point to try to get to all the best places before we sail.

Thank all of you for your very valuable and very much appreciated input!
Old April 28th, 2004, 08:29 PM
HannaS77

If you have a full day, why not take the railroad that is a beautiful drive to Squamish where you tranfser to a bus that takes you to Whistler which is little Switzerland. Whistler is really beautiful with ample restaurants and restrooms. Then the bus takes you back to Vancouver. You arrive back about 7PM-9PM. Not too expensive way to
spend a day.

If you do not want to undertake this I recommend visting the $37 million dollar public library on Georgia Street. In addition to Stanley Park, where you can have lunch, why not walk up and down Robson Street that is a prime shopping area. See the steam clock in Gastown and saunder over to Chinatown. Granville Island is another interesting place that you can reach by bus. It is an artist community with a number of good restaurants.

I suggest you avoid parts of Granville Ave in the downtown area.

While in the city, remeber you cannot flag down a cab because this is against the law. The busses are good mode of transportation but they can only take exact change and you can ask for a return ticket for which there is no extra charge.. They do not take US money. It is advisable to get a a supply of Canadian coins in any hotel or bank..The last time I was in Vancouver the bus fare I think was $1.25 but senior citizens were required to pay less.

If you have the money you can always take a helicopter or airplane flight to Victoria or a bus trip to Victoria. The bus takes a long time, including a ferry ride.
Old May 6th, 2004, 09:09 PM
Roger Duke

Default Re: Re: Extra day in Vancouver?

The train to Squamish no longer operates but one time we took a boat to Squamish maybe that is still available. I don't know!
Old May 13th, 2004, 07:05 PM
ehogan

Another thing you could do is visit the new (June 1) historical attraction in Gastown. It is called "Storyum" and is located within walking distance of the cruise ships (if you dock at Canada Place). For more info visit www.vancouver courier.com (the May 12 edition).