Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 28th, 2004, 04:22 PM
Fondy

Default White Pass Yukon Railway

Question on cost difference between pre-booking it direct ($89) and if we wait and book thru cruise-ship. According to e-mail I received from White Pass, it's only $5 to $10 more if you wait and book thru cruise-ship. However, someone on another web-site posted that it's $139 to book thru cruise-line. We're on Carnival Spirit and if I can save $50 per person, I'll definitely book direct. I understand that we wouldn't be boarding at the dock, but for $50 we can certainly walk a 1/2 mile or whatever to the station! If anyone knows how much it costs to book this excursion thru Carnival, please post.
Sponsored Links
Old April 28th, 2004, 05:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: White Pass Yukon Railway

Hi Fondy,
I too tried to book direct, but they said I had to book through the cruiseline. It was only $10 more going that way, so thats what I did. I sure hope its not any more difference than that??

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 28th, 2004, 05:56 PM
Fondy

Default Re: Re: White Pass Yukon Railway

I was also told it's only $5 - $10 more, but on another forum someone posted that's it's $50 more on Carnival. I'm not sure which route I should go - pre-book or wait?????
Old April 28th, 2004, 07:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Fondy,
When you contacted White Pass directly did they say you could pre-book with them? If so, you may consider going ahead and booking with them.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 28th, 2004, 08:26 PM
Bob and Linda

Hello Fondy. We're also going to be on the Spirit. We called White Pass and ordered the video. The lady also told us we could book in advance if we wished. I have read in other postings that they suggest waiting to see how the weather is before booking do to fog. I also see we can't book in advance on Carnival.
When are you going. My wife and I will be sailing on September 1, 2004.

Bob
Old April 28th, 2004, 09:24 PM
Yeoman

It's only $99 on NCL so I can't imagine that it would be that much higher on Carnival. I'm surprised that there are no shore excursions listed on the Carnaval website. Hopefully it isn't $139.

Luanne

Old April 28th, 2004, 10:16 PM
Bob and Linda

It is listed under shore tours but no price listed or any way of ordering it now.
Old April 29th, 2004, 01:02 AM
First Mate

I think they were quoting $139 Canadian, not US Dollars. I know on the RCI website you can pick the pricing in various currency, for both your cruises and excursions.

BTW we paid about $135 Canadian last year.
richard

Old April 29th, 2004, 02:49 AM
Admiral

It could be Ca funds as mentioned above or the bus train combo tour?? I have never seen a $139 price for the rail only. As for Carnival- it is one ship that you can wait and purchase tickets- you have the "odd" Wed sailing that puts you in port with the least other ships.
Old April 29th, 2004, 10:27 AM
Fondy

I never thought of the price being quoted as Candian currency or a train/bus combo, but that makes sense. Wish I knew one way or another. (The $139 figure came from someone who posted it on a forum so who knows) If it's really $50 per person difference, I'd definitely book direct since there are 4 of us! We'll be sailing on the Carnival Spirit the end of July which I understand is a busy part of the cruise season.
Old April 29th, 2004, 11:54 AM
Yeoman

i dont think they could be giving the price in canada $'s since skagway is in the u.s.
so i am sure everything is in dollar's.

i have just been to the carnival site and looked under the shore tours. they have three to pick from. the dollar signs are a appoximate for $50. so 2 $'s would be about $100. you can go on the round trip for 2 $. rail and camp for 3 $. and the rail and bike for 4 $. i am going to go to the white pass site and see what they charge. i too do not want to go on the trip if it is foggy and i also want to go one way on the train and the other on a bus . so i might wait untill we get to port if i can. and the train is right off the dock, so it is very easy to get too from where carnival lands. i hope this helps and is not too confusing. and i can book this trip now from carnival if i want. since i am booked i can buy what ever tour i choose ahead of time.

Old April 29th, 2004, 01:09 PM
kendra

The two options offered by Princess are:
To The Summit - $36 (1.5 hours) - via shuttle bus
White Pass Railroad - $94 (3.5 hours) - via train

Is the train worth the extra time and money? Why is it better than the shuttle bus? I think on the bus you can get out at the top - but on the train you don't disembark.
Old April 29th, 2004, 01:14 PM
Captain

IMHO the train is worth the extra time and money. Much more scenic.
Old April 29th, 2004, 05:04 PM
Fondy

Dusty:

Thanks for the clarification on Carnival's $-sign system. I'm so blonde that it never occurred to me that one $ equals $50 - duh! Did you say you could pre-book your excursions thru Carnival? My TA said that Carnival doesn't do pre-booking but rather we have to wait until we set sail. Post a note if Carnival does in fact allow pre-booking.

We're leaving July 28th and I'm so excited that I don't think I can stand waiting 3 months!

Happy Sailing - D
Old April 29th, 2004, 08:40 PM
Bob and Linda

Fondy. You can book now through the White Pass Railway. You can't book anything with Carnival tell your on the ship. Our TA also advised to wait and see how the weather is before booking this because of the fog. I called the White Pass Railroad and ordered their video. They also sent the price list and ordering info. The cost is $ 89.00 per person + tax in US $.

Bob
Old April 29th, 2004, 10:53 PM
First Mate

Fondy: I don't see much of an incentive here relative to price regarding whether to book via a shore group or via ship. I booked 3.5 hr excursion via Princess for $89...sounds okay by me! No fuss, no muss, no hassle re: getting back in time to sail. If there is a CHEAPER, BETTER way to do this for the more adventurous....you'll find it here! I think we'll ALL have a great time on the White Pass! Marty
Old April 30th, 2004, 01:50 AM
Admiral

The train is superior for history, scenery and engineering. It only has similar views to the road about 3 miles of the trip.
Old April 30th, 2004, 02:08 AM
First Mate

When I went the last two years, it was $89 from Carnival. Don't try to book when you're there, since the cruise ships have first priority and you may get bumped. All of our trains were full.

The scenery is very pretty, but some of the older passengers fell asleep. The narration was better in '02 than '03. Who knows in '04. But it's definitely better than the road trip.

Carnival Spirit to Alaska
Old May 2nd, 2004, 10:36 AM
CdnTBear

Hi Fondy,

My hubby and I are going on NCL Star on May 30 to Alaska, and the NCL website lists all the available shore excursions - AND the prices! They listed the White Pass as $99 per adult. I'm impressed with their shore excursion list - so I've been able to pretty much plan what I want to do! Hope you have a great cruise!
Old May 8th, 2004, 03:56 AM
Beginner

I booked direct with the White Pass railway for our trip in July this year. It was a $10 difference in price USD (89-99), but with the exchange rate that's about $50 Australian. They told me I should book with the cruise line, but there was no problem booking independently - the folks there were very pleasant. Only problem was the 12.15pm trip was booked out (by the cruise line), so we could only choose the early or late trip. So if you want 12.15pm, go with the cruise line.