Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 8th, 2004, 10:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Sterling Silver
Default Weather great in Juneau this week

For those who dared to book the first cruise to Alaska this year, you really had some wonderful weather up here didn't you? Temps in Juneau were in the mid 60's most of the week with plenty of sunshine. The Norwegian Sun was here first on Wednesday, then the Volendam was here Friday. I always tell folks that May is the best month to cruise in Alaska. The cruise prices are lower, the weather is usually (not always) good, and best of all the mountains are still covered with a layer of snow above 1500'. It is just spectacular up here right now. Chances of seeing bears is good, they are out looking for food after their long winter sleep (saw one last night in our neighborhood). Can't wait for the Spirit to make its visit to Juneau this summer. Will look for our favorite wait person, Marianne.
Sponsored Links
Old May 8th, 2004, 10:28 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Weather great in Juneau this week

sterling silver

im so glad to read your post. i am booked already for the 11th of may 2005 glacier bay cruise. i went last sept and it was so gorgeous. i booked in may this time to get an even better scenery veiw. i am glad you had good weather. you never know there what it is going to be like. i also like to book in the shoulder months for the cheaper rates and not as many kids on board. i love them to death, just not on a ship that full of the little darlings. when they are in school to me is the best time to go cruising. and please no ''hazing folks'''. like i said i do love them otherwise. im glad you had a great time and i cant wait to go again. i sure hope i have as good weather as you did also. this will be my 2nd cruise to glacier bay on the same ship the carnival spirit. whoo---hooo. it will be a long year.

Old May 9th, 2004, 04:55 PM
T. McGrew

Marianne,

I'll be in Juneau in two weeks (for the first time) and can't decide if I need to bring a winter jacket. Do you think I'll need it for a glacier tour or any other excursion ? It seems like I'm already bringing so much and would hate to lug it along and not need it. I do get cold easier than most people so I don't want to be uncomfortable either. Any thoughts ?
Thanks
Old May 9th, 2004, 04:59 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Weather great in Juneau this week

i was in the glacier bay in the middle of sept and all i needed was a sweatshirt and a light weight nylon jacket with hood. i was fine. of course i come from the midwest and am used to our winters. but i thought it was very mild. i will not take a heavy coat with me to alaska.

Old May 9th, 2004, 05:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

I wouldn't bring a big winter jacket. Just a rain jacket over sweater/sweatshirt will be fine. You can always pick up another layer here if you need to. I have already ordered great weather for you. (By the way Marianne was my wait person, not me.)
Old May 9th, 2004, 05:39 PM
T. McGrew

Default Re: Re: Re: Weather great in Juneau this week

Thanks for the feedback, I don't think I'll bring the winter jacket with me. It will surely save some space in the luggage.
Old May 9th, 2004, 08:23 PM
Admiral

In 17 trips, the only time I brought my winter jacket was- in the winter. You don't need it, better is layers with a lightweight lined jacket. Don't forget a knit hat and gloves and scarf if desired.
Old May 10th, 2004, 01:59 AM
First Mate

Glad to hear the report, Sterling! I'll be there in May next year on the Infinity.

I bought a great water-proof jacket that rolls up into a tube at REI that's served me just fine the last two trips. I always over-pack and end up not needing much more than a sweater and that jacket. My last two trips were in June, and the only chilly times were out at sea.

Denise
Old May 13th, 2004, 08:43 AM
Cruise Maniac

Well, this fabulous weather is just going to continue all summer it looks like. Temps in Juneau are still in the mid to upper 60's every day with lots of sunshine! Next week around the 21st, may be a few showers, but looks good until then. Come on up!
Old May 13th, 2004, 04:15 PM
Passenger

That's great news! We depart Whittier on the 22nd of May and would love to have days in the 60s. Keep that warm weather coming for us!

Island Princess . . . May 22, 2004

Old May 14th, 2004, 09:20 PM
Passenger

Hi

Yes, we had wonderful weather. I was on the Volendam for the first cruise up to Alaska. We had a little rain one morning and the rest of the days were sun with some to no clouds. Even in Ketickan, it was sunny. It was beautiful. Saw several feet of snow up on Summit pass in Skagway. In Glacier Bay National Park it was little cloudy and cold but nice.. Saw a whale in Glacier Bay.

I was in Juneau on Friday on the Volendam. It took us forever to get off the darn ship. They finally allowed some to get off after about 30 mins and the rest got off shortly after.

I would bring a rain coat to keep dry. I used it alot in Glacier Bay and tracy arm.. I also used my gloves and scarf in Glacier Bay and tracy arm.

jennifer
Old May 14th, 2004, 11:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Glad you had great weather, Jennifer. Just don't tell too many people. Keep it our little secret -- or I'm afraid too many people will want to move up here like we did after our cruise to Alaska in '00.
Old May 15th, 2004, 12:56 AM
Sea Wings

Thanks Sterling, we will be cruising from Vancouver in two weeks aboard the Infinity.

After reading this thread, I have made up my mind not to bring my winter jacket. I do not usually feel the cold anyway.

I would adore seeing some or just one bear. Where should I look?
Old May 15th, 2004, 10:41 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Weather great in Juneau this week

Sea Wings, bears are just kind of a hit or miss deal up here. If you came in late August and early Sept., I could just about guarantee you would see one at the Mendenhall Glacier viewing platforms, if you waited patiently for an hour or two. When the salmon are moving up the streams, there are bears... Right now they could be meandering through Juneau or out by Costco, in our front yard, or on one of our many miles of trails (we have more miles of hiking trails here than we have miles of roads.) Most of the "bear encounters" reported in the Juneau Empire every day seem to be in the Lemon Creek area (around Costco), in Douglas (Lawson Creek area, where I live), and the glacier area. With the garbage can laws in force, they don't find that food source like they were accustomed to a few years ago. Most of the bears around Juneau are black bears and there have been no attacks on humans to my recollection. You may have better success finding a bear by just scanning the shoreline with your binoculars as you make your way through the inside passage. Watch closely where the rivers empty into the ocean waters. Those would probably be the coastal brown bear (grizzly).
Good luck. Let me know if you spot any.
Old May 15th, 2004, 11:36 AM
Passenger

Hi

Funny you say that. I was seriously looking at attending UAS in Juneau. I was accepted to start in the Fall 2004. I spent a couple hours at the campus the day we were there on Friday. I decided it was not for me. Beautiful campus but way too remote for me..

jennifer
Old May 15th, 2004, 09:22 PM
Yeoman

Our newspaper said that it was 70 degrees in Juneau the other day. It must have been Thursday I think. Our high was 49 that day and it was 70 up there. Hope it gets that warm in June.

Luanne

Old May 16th, 2004, 12:46 AM
Sea Wings

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Weather great in Juneau this week

Hi Sterling

Thanks for that interesting answer. I am not brave enough or fast enough to hike remote trails in bear country any more. I will be on the verander with the binoculars as you said and dreaming of braver days gone by.
Old May 16th, 2004, 09:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Weather great in Juneau this week

Jennifer, remote is not all that bad. And still you are only 2 hours from Seattle by Alaska Air and an hour and a half to Anchorage. The only time we really felt "remote" was after 9/11 when the planes and ferries stopped coming and going from Juneau for a few days. You really should come up this fall and give it a shot for the winter quarter. You will love it up here!