Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 13th, 2004, 07:26 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Alaska Fever

We have been reading books on Alaska in prep for our first trip to Alaska this August. Wanted to share the ones we enjoyed, and ask for any other suggestions.
Read: 'Klondike' by Pierre Berton, 'On the Edge of Nowhere' by James Huntington, 'Looking for Alaska' by Peter Jenkins and 'Two Old Women' by Velma Wallis. These books are sure to feed anyone with Alaska Fever like me.

Sponsored Links
Old May 13th, 2004, 09:34 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Alaska Fever

thanks mk

i know what you mean about having ''alaska fever''. i am 11months out for my 2nd glacier bay cruise and i cant wait. i will do anything to pass the time and the day of departure here sooner. happy reading.

Old May 13th, 2004, 01:48 PM
Passenger

Sailed on the Veendam on our first cruise in 1998. We did a Western Caribbean and really enjoyed the ship and the cruise.

We are planning a 2005 Alaska Cruise. Would like to hear about your cruise when you return.

What accomodations did you book? Itenerary?

Sam
Old May 13th, 2004, 02:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Alaska Fever

Will gladly share our experience with you on our return. It is our first cruise. We are booked on a cruise/land tour with HAL. Departs from Vancouver, with stops in Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway and Seward. We added the Kenai Fjords tour at Seward, a helicopter trip to glaciers, Juneau City tour, White Pass Train trip, Floatplane to see bears, and a rafting trip. This tour spends an extra day in Denali, and ends in Fairbanks. 14 days total. We are independent travellers, and like it that way. This will be the first time, we are "controlled" with a tour. I am however excited about the cruising experience. Enjoy planning for your trip.

Old May 13th, 2004, 02:56 PM
Passenger

I think you'll like the Veendam. Not too big, with excellent crew. HAL does a good job of taking care of you without being in your face.

We think cruising is the ultimate vacation. I describe as having a 4 star hotel follow you around for a week.

One thing to keep in mind, HAL just announced a change to their tipping policy.

Previously, tipping was "never required".

As of May, HAL will charge your OnBoard Account $10 per Day per Person.

Of course, they say you can adjust the amount at your discretion based on the service that you have received.
Old May 16th, 2004, 09:41 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Alaska Fever

HI Sam!

Hubby and I are leaving for Alaska cruise on NCL Star in 2 weeks! I'll post my review here when we return. This will be our 2nd cruise, and our first time to Alaska. So you'll get to hear impressions of a first-time Alaska cruiser. Like you, I've spent many hours researching Alaska and just can't wait to go!!