Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 14th, 2004, 06:33 PM
Passenger

Default NCL Star - Alaska June 6, 2004

We will be sailing on NCL Star to Alaska on June 6th - 13th. The only cruise reviews I have found are about the Star with the Hawaii itinerary. If anyone takes this cruise before we go, PLEASE post your impressions, ASAP. We are somewhat concerned about this experience, (not much we can do about it now!) especially the freestyle dining, we have heard many negative reviews about crowded waiting times to get into the dining rooms. Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Old May 14th, 2004, 08:04 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: NCL Star - Alaska June 6, 2004

Cherie,
I'm afraid that the only cruise before yours is the May 30th cruise. By the time they get back you will be boarding. We did freestyle on the NCL Sun two years ago and really liked it and didn't have any problems. We are going to do the Star June 20th and even though people have had bad reviews in Hawaii, we are still looking forward to our cruise. If you are really worried about waiting in lines before dinner, I believe you can set up a certain time to dine in the dining rooms if you want the same dining room every night. For the specialty restaurants, you can make reservations in the morning I think. We only made reservations once, because we like the freedom to eat early or late. Have a great trip. Maybe when you get back, you can post and let us know how it went for you.

Old May 15th, 2004, 07:49 AM
Passenger

Hi Cherie!

I wish I could help - we will be on the NCL Star to Alaska on May 30th, returning on June 6th - the day you are leaving! But honestly, I wouldn't worry about the awful reviews you've read. I've also read some awful ones, but I've read some great ones too!

I've been doing a lot of research about cruise lines - and have read reviews on nearly every cruise line. And you know what? Every line I've read about has had some awful reviews, and then some great ones too. There is really no way to expect a "perfect" vacation - whether you are on a cruise or at a resort, or camping, etc. Weather can never be guaranteed, especially in Alaska as it changes so quickly.

But look at it this way - you're going to Alaska!!! My hubby and I are sooooo excited about going, that we don't care if there have been some terrible reviews. A lot of it is what you make of it. This is not a luxury liner - so we are not expecting luxury food (at least in the main dining room). But I'm sure if you go with an open mind and a positive attitude - you'll have a great time. With the beautiful scenery that we'll be able to see, and the shore excursions we've planned, everything else is just gravy!

Hope you have wonderful cruise!

Old May 15th, 2004, 03:52 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: NCL Star - Alaska June 6, 2004

Thanks so much for your reply, what was your itinerary/destination on the Sun? We are getting really excited, and yes, I will definitely post a full review of our cruise when we return.

Cherie
Old May 15th, 2004, 03:57 PM
Passenger

Thank you so much for your reply, I completely agree with what you said, that it is all in our attitude. I am wondering, would you be willing to communicate with me maybe the day after your return? I could post my email address for you, and then we could exchange phone numbers? My cell phone service should work very well on this cruise (although I won't be giving my kids that info! We don't want ANY interruptions! This way I could get some specific info from you regarding dining and disembarking at the ports, the only two main concerns that I have.

Happy cruising!

Cherie
Old May 15th, 2004, 04:23 PM
First Mate

Since we're all internet people...

They could actually E you from the ship or from one of the cheap internet cafes in port. One of my friends on the '02 cruise was in a brand new romance when he left, and he found an internet cafe in every port to E her. They were cheaper than the internet connection on the ship.

Denise
Old May 15th, 2004, 09:04 PM
Yeoman

TBear cub,
I'm glad to hear that you feel that way about cruising. We do too. My husband and I are thrilled to be able to go to Alaska and a cruise at that. We have been on 3 other cruises. Two NCL and one RCCL and loved them all. We go in with an open mind and know that we wiill have the fun we make of it and go from their. We have not had a bad cruise yet.

Have a great cruise and I will be looking for you on cruisemates to maybe answer questions that we might have before June 20th

Luanne

Old May 15th, 2004, 10:08 PM
Yeoman

Cherie,
We were on the Sun in June of 2002. We went to the westerbn carribean with ports of call Grand Cayman, Belize, Roatan and Cozumel. We went before Roatan had their new dock and at that time I believe only NCL was going there. We had a great cruise. We met a couple of really nice girls on the cruise directors staff and went to the theme parties everynight. by the end of the cruise, we were exchanging emails and still email with one of them now, two years later. She was transferred to the Norway last year and we had booked a cruise and unfortunatley she sent us an email and said that they were transferring her to the NCL Dawn a week before we were on the Norway so we missed her by a week. We hope to catch another cruise with her again, but she doesn't like the Alaska routes since her boyfried lives in Florida, she likes the cruises that go to Miami for a port of call or one that leaves from Miami so she can see him weekly.

Luanne

Old May 16th, 2004, 09:33 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: NCL Star - Alaska June 6, 2004

Hi Cherie!

I know for a fact that I won't be using the internet cafe while we're gone - we're going away to get away from all that jazz! . My hubby owns 2 agencies - he runs one, and I run the other. Needless to say, it's hard for us to get away, and even on weekends our time is not completely our own, as we often get calls from customers. So this is our only chance to be totally selfish and not talk to anyone but ourselves and other cruisers on the ship! What a deliciously decadent notion that is!!! << great big wicked smile >>

But when we return, I'll be happy to send you an e-mail about the dining and excursions. My time will be really tight - as we don't land at the airport on Sunday night until 11:00 p.m., and then on Monday morning I've got therapy at 8:00 a.m., then off to work. Work will be hectic - Mondays always are, but especially when I've been away for a week, but I'll do everything I can to send you a quickie e-mail in the a.m., to give you a bit of a run down. I hope that will help. Please feel free to e-mail me directly if you wish. My e-mail is posted in my profile.

Old May 16th, 2004, 09:36 AM
Passenger

Luanne,

I'm so glad to hear that you've had positive experiences on NCL. I'm sure you've seen the awful reviews on this site about the Star. But I wouldn't let them hold me back anyway. I'm sooooooooo psyched to go that I'm about to jump out of my skin!!

I'll definitely post my review when I get back, but please feel free to e-mail me directly if you want any detailed info, or have any questions, etc.!

OMG OMG OMG .... only 2 weeks to go!!!!!!!! Yeeeeeeehawwwww!!!

Old May 17th, 2004, 03:21 AM
ladypt

We were on the Wind 2 years ago and it was wonderul. the freestyle dining was fine and the food was very good where ever we ate. I enjoyed it so much I am going back with the whole family. I have never been so pampered in my life.