Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 15th, 2004, 05:42 PM
Familiar Face

Default How can you go to Whittier, AK from Anchorage, AK?

How can you go to Whittier, AK from Anchorage, AK? (I am in a group of 2.)

Thank you,

Post Edited (05-15-04 17:43)
Sponsored Links
Old May 15th, 2004, 08:35 PM
Beginner

Default Re: How can you go to Whittier, AK from Anchorage, AK?

I have a group of four and would like the same info, for a more economical option other then what Princess Cruises offers.
Thanks
Old May 15th, 2004, 09:17 PM
KeithB

As of end of May, you can rent a car from Avis in Anchorage and drop-off in Whittier. One way rental drop-off fee is $100, so on a one-day rental you can probably do the trip for a little under $200. Probably more economical if you have 4 or more in your party. Gives more flexibility to do other things along the way, too.

I am doing this myself in August. I have canceled my Princess transfers.

You have to call Avis at Anchorage Int'l Airport directly. As of this week the national 800 number did not show Whittier as a rental location. The Avis number in Anchorage is 907-243-4300.

Hope this helps.
Old May 16th, 2004, 12:18 AM
First Mate

In '02, our bus driver from Anchorage to Seward was a 'sourdough' (long time Alaskan) who drove a school bus during the school year. He talked almost non-stop the whole way, slowly as the natives do, and had a lot of great info about everything we were seeing. He tried to spot mountain goats for us too. I considered him an added bonus.

In '03, the driver from Seward to Anchorage wasn't quite as knowledgeable, but still entertaining and could answer questions about what we were seeing.

It's longer from Seward than it is from Whittier, but being informed about what you see on the way may be fun, so don't count the transfers as far overpriced. I really enjoyed the guided tour.

I can't even begin to tell you all of the things that were pointed out that we wouldn't have known if we'd just rented a car. Some of the people who tour Alaska a lot forget that first timers don't know as much. (Do you know why it's called Turnagain Bay? Ever been for a walk on glacier silt? Does Anchorage have snow days at school?)

Denise
Old May 16th, 2004, 06:03 AM
Admiral

You have several options. There are the cruise transfers- both bus and train. These are beneficial if you are leaving in the afternoon from Alaska (which I never recommend) as they have airport drop off. As mentioned Avis will have a seasonal office set up for one way rentals Whittier/Anchorage. BUT this has the MOST benefit for those who want to tour Seward- highly recommended. If just looking to transfer Whittier/Anchorage a $200 car is not the answer. Other options, independent bus and the regular run of the Alaska RR.
http://www.polarexpressak.com/rates.html

It makes NO difference on the mode on this portion. Train is superior from Girdwood- Seward. If further renting for more interior travel- it may be cheaper to turn in this car and rent a cheaper round trip Anchorage car. I do this all the time with Seward rentals- being careful to only keeping it within 24 hours- then dropping off and picking up another for the rest of my travels.
Old May 17th, 2004, 09:23 AM
jillhou

We are doing the Alaska RR for a cheaper price than the regular Princess motorcoach transfer and there is no waiting around at the hospitality center - which I would really dread with my 3 sons with us. We will get the cruise ship pretty early and have to transfer our luggage ourselves most likely. But every thing rolls! And like I said - 3 boys! they can haul the luggage!