Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 17th, 2004, 10:33 PM
bill99

Default does sitka suck??

I'm in a funk over our stop in Sikta in july. When I booked the cruise i made the mistake of thinking it went to skagway....but its doesn't. After looking around for a way to get from sitka to skagway it looks like we're stuck. As of now we're going on the otter wilderness cruise there. It seems like most people's favorite thing there is the bird refuge....growing up in florida, this was almost as common as 7-11, so not a big draw for us.........Can anyone offer up the positive side of sitka?
Sponsored Links
Old May 17th, 2004, 11:37 PM
viv

Default Re: does sitka suck??

The otter adventure really sucks!!!!!!!
We got sick and all we saw was a "raft of otters and a deer on shore"
Sitka isn't so bad, the town is cute go see the st. micheals church its nice, walk around lots of russian art. But that otter tour oh my god!!!!!!! its really BORRRRRRRING.
Good luck, we are going back this year, but no sitka, new port iecy srtiate point, can't wait.
Let me know what you think of sitka and the otter tour.
V
Old May 17th, 2004, 11:44 PM
Thoth

I know that I booked my cruise this year in large part in order to visit Sitka. It has the rapter center which features bald eagles, and it also has Russian culture with St. Michael's Orthodox Cathedral and the New Archangel Russian Dancers. There is Sitka National Historical Park where the 1804 battle of Alaska was fought. From all accounts, Sitka is a lovely town!
Old May 17th, 2004, 11:45 PM
Admiral

I question your reasons for traveling Alaska??? Sitka is an excellent port and vastly different for any other- as they all are different. The Raptor center has close up views of eagles/owls, not likely seen in Florida? There is a loop bus $7 that takes you to sites. Bishops House, Sitka heritage Park, Raptor Center. The boat trips get great reviews, whales have moved into the Sitka feeding areas the last few years so sightings are more common. Request their visitor guide for a closer look at this interesting port.

www.sitka.org
Old May 18th, 2004, 02:20 AM
First Mate

There is a semi-submersible that seems interesting. I found Sitka the best walking town. I really consider it a don't miss port.

I didn't care for the Russian Dancers. They're all women, all amateur. It was a bit hokey.

I totally understand that if you've seen the amazing parrot parks in Florida, the eagles and owls would seem boring by comparison. I help raise rare and endangered exotic parrots in my spare time and, although I'd definitely go back, it's not like the Florida sanctuaries. It's a bit like comparing apples and oranges. It's a rescue operation, and hearing about that part of it is pretty fascinating.

I think you'll like a day of walking around there, and maybe sitka.org as Karen suggested can give you a few more ideas.
Old May 18th, 2004, 08:14 AM
Passenger

I would agree wholeheartedly with Karens and others comments.

In my view Sitka is the most beautiful of stops on any cruise-The place is full of history and has scenic beauty that very few other cruise stops have.

To compare Sitka with Skagway in my opinion is just not on- Its always dangerous to do- What appeals to 1 person does not necessarily appeal to another.

Some cruises go to both Sitka and Skagway- We are on the Ryndam and that does both.

Enjoy Sitka -take a boat trip- visit the Raptor centre-Forget those Florida places [I know I live there too] The Parrots will be there when you get back.

No Sitka does not 'suck' -Now I could tell you some places in Florida that might!!!!

Lu
Old May 18th, 2004, 06:14 PM
bill99

Default Re: Re: does sitka suck??

thats for the feedback.....has anyone done the submersible boat trip? I've got the visitors guide, somewhat helpful, but still searching for an exciting excursion
Old May 18th, 2004, 09:05 PM
Admiral

I much prefer Sitka to Skagway. There is a lot more to do I.M.H.O.
Old May 19th, 2004, 02:06 AM
First Mate

To elaborate, I found it nice that there was a port that was a wonderful walk-around, all day, very enjoyable, without having to pay for excursions. I spent the BIG bucks in Juneau and Ketchikan.

I'm doing the semi-submersible in '05. If you decide to do it, please let me know how it was! The pics on their web site look great.

Carnival Spirit to Alaska
Old May 19th, 2004, 05:41 AM
joe1960

test post - sorry, just seeing how this works!!!
Old May 19th, 2004, 07:49 PM
Yeoman

I saw a comment on the semi-submersible in the Caribbean saying that every trip has many who get seasick. The cabin smelled like Pine Sol over vomit. Accoriding to the poster, the ship crew said this happened every time. We would like to go on the semi-submersible if we can do it without getting sick (from the smell). I would like to see others comment on this.
Old May 19th, 2004, 09:39 PM
daffomom

Just returned from 12 days aboard Celebrity Mercury..We were supposed to go to the new port, Icy Straight Point..but I guess they are not quite ready..so we were rerouted to Sitka...It was ok....it is a "real" town as opposed to a tourist trap...we hiked down to the National Park. & around on the trails (the trails are free) .that was beautiful...LOTS of bald eagles in Sitka...the scenery is wonderful...not my favorite port...but it was a new port to us..

have a great trip! I am missing those wonderful dinners!
Old May 20th, 2004, 06:17 AM
Admiral

Sitka is a wonderful port with a lot of gems. You just have to know where, research fully.
Old May 20th, 2004, 08:01 PM
Dennis B

On my Alaskan cruise back in 2000 Sitka was the port that i enjoyed the most - the history of the town - the national park - great views of the harbour and the cruise ships - the baranof castle hill - the old historic church and a more down home tourist town than either Juneau or Skayway.

Sitka doesn't suck It ROCKS!!

Dennis
Old May 21st, 2004, 09:29 PM
bill99

Chuck,

You said there's alot more to do in Sitka than Skagway, could you elaborate? I'd like some type of outdoor activity if possible. Anyone been on harris flightseeing in sitka?
Old May 21st, 2004, 11:36 PM
Admiral

Request their visitor guide. www.sitka.org

I have done floatplanes out of Sitka, great scenery, I also have sailed St. Lazaria Island several times, your best opportunity for puffin viewing- inside passage. The Sitka Heritage Park- purchase the cheap guidebook for commentary on the poles, several museums, Raptor Center.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 10:43 AM
bill99

Default Re: Re: does sitka suck??

thanks
Old May 23rd, 2004, 10:38 PM
Passenger

Last August we were late arriving in Sitka due to a terrible storm the night before. As a result, one of the tours I was looking forward to on the cruise was cancelled...it sounded wonderful...Harbour Mountain and Starrigaven (sp?) River Tour. It was a van tour towards an old fishing village, up Harbour Mountain (where we have heard the views are beautiful), a short hike, watch the salmon in the river, etc. There certainly is a variety of options in Sitka for most to choose from. You'll have to take a second Alaska cruise to explore Skagway...enjoy your trip!
Old May 24th, 2004, 02:50 AM
Admiral

You can see plenty of salmon - take the east side trail at the Sitka Heritage Park if you don't want to do the loop. Can walk right up to the river.
Old July 29th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Sitka favorite port of many cruise passengers

Hello,
Yes I am biased since I live in Sitka. But I worked for 23 years in a local gift shop and heard from many cruise passengers that Sitka was their favorite Alaska port for a variety of reasons including: less crowded, locally owned unique shops, most beautiful scenery, easy to walk to most sites of interest, mix of Tlingit and Russian history, great state museum (Sheldon Jackson Museum), Russian dancers, friendly people, real sense of community, Tlingit tours, not "Disneyland," no Caribbean chain stores, wildlife (eagles at Raptor Center and wild, bears at Fortress of the Bear and wild, whales, seals, sea otters, sea lions, deer...), great fishing, National Historical Park, Russian Bishops House, wildlife tours ....
So I guess it depends on your expectations. And of course if you get seasick doing something on the water, your entire experience is colored a bit. So wear a seasickness patch or take a pill before going on a boat excursion.
Old July 29th, 2011, 11:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I would love to have a Sitka stop on my next Alaska cruise, just to see a different port and see what the city has to offer. Any Alaska port is good, IMHO.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 30th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Admiral

Thumbs up Sitka

Not quite sure how this old thread bobbed back up to the top.

But, for sure, Sitka does not suck! Sitka is one of the most fascinating ports in Alaska and I am sorry it is not on more itineraries. We also love Skagway, but let's be honest Skagway is one huge tourist trap and it is very hard to find anything real there unless you drive over the pass into the Yukon.

Sitka, in my mind, is associated first and foremost with the sea otters! These little creatures are wonderful, and Allen Marine has the perfect boats for seeing them. As a bonus, on our last trip there we also saw whales very close up.

The Dancers are a delightful folklore group and we always enjoy the show. The are indeed amateurs but the show approaches professional quality.

The old Russian Orthodox Cathedral is well worth a visit for its beauty. The local museum also has some very interesting displays of native artifacts.

The bird sanctuary is NOT a parrot farm! Perhaps you believe birds are birds, but the eagles especially are a magnificent sight for those who have not seen them close up.

And of course, for those who miss it in Skagway, there is plenty of shopping!

Check out our trip reports and pictures at Cruising HAL Volendam to Alaska and http://www.bully4.us/alaska2010.html

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old July 30th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Thanks Mike,
I knew this would be an interesting Alaska port, hope to someday see it myself...Thanks for your input.

Message Boards Moderator