Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 19th, 2004, 04:57 PM
CCG

Default Helicopter/Glacier Tour

O.K. I am down to actually making reservations for our shore excursions!!!! We will be in Juneau at the beginning of July and want to do the PIlots Choice Helicopter excursion . Due to fog etc, which would be the best time to book: 7:15, 10:15, 11:45, or 2:15. ANY advise would be appreciated!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old May 19th, 2004, 06:45 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Helicopter/Glacier Tour

We went at 11:00 and were the first group to get to go in by the more scenic route. Earlier groups got to go in over the water. They just didn't get to see the spectacular views we saw.
Old May 19th, 2004, 08:34 PM
daffomom

Hi..

Just returned yesterday from a 12 day to Alaska..did the Pilot's Choice in Skagway..didn't have enough time in Juneau..absolutely breathtaking...we had a 2 pm trip. We did book independently thru TEMSCO...saved $20 each as opposed to booking thru Celebrity.

We took the $5 (each way) shuttle bus out to Mendenhall Glacier & hiked to the falls & just across the water to the edge of the glacier...again...spectacular..

We had beautiful sunny days both days..so....the time didn't matter.

Have a great trip!
Old May 20th, 2004, 05:15 AM
Admiral

It doesn't matter what time- you can't predict the weather. BUT I always book my tours in groups so to have a large block for downtown touring- especially for a first time visitor? I only book direct with venders, and you can get a nice combo with a glacier helicopter landing and whale watch if interested?
Old May 21st, 2004, 05:16 PM
eileeno

I DON'T KNOW TIME, BUT WE JUST TOOK THAT TRIP A LITTLE OVER A WEEK AGO. LET ME TELL YOU--IT WAS FANTASTIC!!! BEST SHORE EXCURSION WE TOOK! IT IS OUTRAGEOUS, THE VIEWS ARE SPETACULAR!
Old May 22nd, 2004, 12:15 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Helicopter/Glacier Tour

I agree 100%. Pictures don't do it justice. You can't conceive of how beautiful it is until you see it.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 07:29 PM
Beginner

So help--radisson mariner offers two helicopter dog sled--juneau and skagway-any suggestions about which area might be better?? thanks jan
Old May 24th, 2004, 01:46 AM
Admiral

Juneau glacier dog sledding is the most canceled of all Alaska excursions, Skagway slightly less so. Consider direct booking for savings www.coastalhelicopters.com out of Juneau www.temscoair.com out of Skagway.
Old May 24th, 2004, 10:42 PM
Korey

The weather changes so rapidly in Juneau, there is no time that is ever safe. Your best choice is going for the late morning to mid afternoon flights. Pilots choice is a great excursion. It is so amazing. Bring lots of film. It is increbile.
Have a great cuise!