Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 24th, 2004, 11:39 PM
Kitty cruiser

Default $5 shuttles to Mendenhall Glacier

Someone told me there are $5 shuttles to the Mendenhall Glacer from the cruise port in Juneau. Can anyone confirm this?
Sponsored Links
Old May 25th, 2004, 12:14 AM
Sal G

Default Re: $5 shuttles to Mendenhall Glacier

Yes there are. Look for the blue bus. It's $5 each way.
Old May 25th, 2004, 01:49 AM
Yeoman

these blue buses sound like a great deal. i am going to look for them when i go this next trip. it will be a great tour for little money and i will get to see some fantastic sites.

Old May 25th, 2004, 07:58 AM
Admiral

Yes I can confirm- But there are more then the "blue bus" which is MGT. Also frontier shuttles. It is $5 each way, taking about 20 mins.
Old May 25th, 2004, 10:06 AM
daffomom

Yes..just took one 2 weeks ago..however..it is $5 EACH WAY...& you pay for both in Juneau. It was definitely worth the trip..we hiked out to Nugget Falls...(you can see them from photo point)..& it was one of the highlights of our trip...beautiful.

someone on our bus said that to take a taxi was $55..

There is a big visitor center at the pier and there are little green booths selling shuttle tickets and other tours around the city.
Old May 25th, 2004, 10:24 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: $5 shuttles to Mendenhall Glacier

daffomom

sounds great. this is the only thing we have planned for junea besides wandering around and shopping. i didnt get to do that the last time since i had tours that took up most of the time in port. this will be a nice day for relaxing and taking it easy. ( spending money of fun things is always easy for me ).

Old May 25th, 2004, 11:33 PM
Kitty cruiser

thanks for you information. I am going to Alaska with elderly folks. so I was wondering if you or anyone else remember what other shuttle/bus tours they were selling at the visitor center. We can;t do any boat , or plane or helicopter rides, but shuttle/ buses tours to the hatchery or something like that. Do you remember what kinds of tours were available? . thank you.
Old May 26th, 2004, 01:35 AM
Admiral

MGT runs a good city/glacier combo tour for about $20. Gives a good commentary and several stops including about 20-30 min. at Mendenhall. Doesn't include the hatchery- at least in the past it did not?? There will be several bus tours at the dock available that may include it. A cab to Mendenhall runs about $25++
Old May 26th, 2004, 07:17 AM
Mateen1

How often do the shuttles run? And how much time does it take to get to Mendenhall on the shuttle bus?
Old May 27th, 2004, 02:36 AM
First Mate

I think they run every half hour. As Karen says there is also a combo tour. We just did the $5 trip and it was great. the driver provided a good and humorous commentary.

richard

Old May 27th, 2004, 08:51 PM
Admiral

They run at least once and hour and the shuttle time is 20 minutes.
Old May 28th, 2004, 10:06 AM
Passenger

Can you do the round trip in an hour do you think?
Old May 28th, 2004, 12:28 PM
twtypy

Default Re: Re: Re: $5 shuttles to Mendenhall Glacier

Our shuttle dropped us off and came back in an hour..This plenty of time if you only go to the visitor center and stay close. My hubby however, after we had already been there for over a half hour,wanted to go out to the falls. So he hiked out there, took a quick pic and had to run back to catch the shuttle.Maybe if you started the hike right when you get there, there would be plenty of time, without the rush..
Old May 28th, 2004, 04:32 PM
Admiral

Nope- you can't do a round trip in an hour UNLESS you just want a quick look. You would only have 10 minutes at the glacier- 20 min shuttle- plus departure time on hour/half hour depending on location.
Old June 1st, 2004, 12:07 AM
Mock4

How far are the falls from the shuttle stop at the glacier?
Old June 1st, 2004, 06:04 AM
Admiral

You can get a partial view of the "falls" from the Photo point trail, 5 min. walk from the visitor center. IF you want the close view- you need to take the 3 1/2 mile East Loop trail then the additional Nugget trail- so several hours. You can see the falls from above from the East Loop. http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/dis...ll/trails.html
Old June 1st, 2004, 11:56 AM
daffomom

We didn't take a trail to the falls..just hiked out over the flood plain..I would say it is a 15-20 minute walk maybe...from photo point. We were on the bus at 9 am & back in Juneau before noon..

You definitely need more than an hour to be able to enjoy the area..
Old June 1st, 2004, 11:20 PM
twtypy

Daffomom is right.....we were only there for 1 hour, and my hubby made it out to the falls and back, he did have to run back though.. We wanted to make sure we caught the 10 o'clock bus back so he could go fishing ..Daffomom, I think you were there at the same time my hubby was..I wish he would of asked you to take a pic of him infront of the falls..He did get a beautiful pic of the falls.....
Old June 7th, 2004, 09:55 PM
Sal G

I just got back and had a wonderful time hiking to the bottom of the falls. It was absolutely awesome seeing the power of the water. But someone said something along the order of " yes, you can still get to the falls." This leads me to think that at some point the lake might rise up high enough to keep hikers out. Just something to consider.

Also, the blue bus goes out and back every half hour. One or more of the other shuttle companies only goes out and back every hour. So we opted for the blue bus. It is $5 each way but do not detach the stub from the rest of the ticket. No stub, no ride.

Have fun.
Old June 7th, 2004, 10:21 PM
Kitty cruiser

Thanks for all all this information. Seems alot of people have to rush back if they plan to take the trails. If we take a shuttle, can we come back any time? I looked at the web site and there's a "trail of time". Since I will be with older folks, we may take two or so hours to enjoy everything. Can I take my shuttle back anytime or is there a time limit to catch the return shuttle?
Thanks
Old June 8th, 2004, 01:12 PM
Vena

Anyone know how late these shuttles run, and how late you can go see the Mendenhall Glacier? So many excursions to choose from!
Old June 9th, 2004, 12:02 PM
Sal G

Kitty: if you take the shuttle bus you have to come back when they have a bus going into town which is once an hour or twice an hour, depending on the shuttle company. Here's what I would suggest: wait until you get to Juneau. See what the weather is like. If you still want to go to M. Glacier then talk to the people at the little booths that are set up outside, right next to the tram building. Ask them how often they go up and come back. I took the blue bus to the glacier when we first got into port. Spent 2 hours up there walking to the bottom of the waterfall, taking photos at the end of photo point trail and walking the Trail of Time. Then spent an hour or two in town. Then back to the ship. It was a fun way to spend time in Juneau and inexpensive.

The Trail of Time took us 20 minutes even though the brochure says 1 hour. We were moving pretty quickly to catch the shuttle. It was very easy for us but we hike a lot. There is a definite rise in elevation but if it's too much just turn around and go back. It's a pretty little walk. BTW, if you are going to Sitka, the walk through the National Park is flat and very pretty.

Vena, I'm not sure about the times but you can email the blue bus company (which is actually MGT) at mgttour@aol.com. They responded to an email I sent. Or check out their website.

Happy cruising.
Old June 9th, 2004, 08:40 PM
Admiral

You can take any shuttle back. If you want the most flexability- purchase only one way tickets, that way you can get on the next available bus. There can be significant lines for buses. But in season they run at least until 6:30 pm when the visitor center closes. http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/dis...all/index.html

The Trail of time is a 30 min. recommended walk, not an hour. Print out the guide sheet or get one at the visitor center. This is the former Interpretive trail. If taking the East Loop off the trail of time, I like taking the first trailhead rather than the second. You have a switchback up but the stairs down.
Old June 10th, 2004, 11:22 PM
Vena

Thanks Sal & Karen - got all the info I need!