Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 31st, 2004, 08:49 PM
Maureen T

Default Eagle Preserve Scenic Float Adventure

My daughter and I are doing the Alaskan Cruise in July '04 - we are thinking about taking the Eagle Preserve Scenic Float Adventure in Skagway but I would like to know just how difficult it is to do. The brochure mentions stairs and unlevel terrain - need to know if there are many stairs and just what is meant by unlevel terrain. Would appreciate any and all answers.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old June 1st, 2004, 06:01 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Eagle Preserve Scenic Float Adventure

This is out of Haines not Skagway. You will be ferrying to Haines from Skagway on this trip. I would go with an independent rather than the ship tour- much smaller groups and more personal tour. There is some paddling but not everyone has to if you don't want to. You will have to be able walk down a path to the river to board the float and back up- not real difficult. Look at Eco Orca- they give a supurb tour. Contact them for answers to your questions. http://www.alaskafloattrips.com/alaska_rafting.htm
Old June 12th, 2004, 05:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

we did this excursion several years ago and we did it thru the Ptrincess Excursions. It was fun. We did it in October and it was COLD...I think you will enjoy it during July. I have bad knees and moving around wasn't a problem..
Old June 16th, 2004, 06:55 PM
Maureen T

Default Re: Re: Eagle Preserve Scenic Float Adventure

Norma, Thanks for your information. One of the people traveling with us has bad knees and that is what I was concerned about. I am so looking forward to the cruise and the side trips. Just a little over a month to sailing time on the Coral Princess!!!
Old June 27th, 2004, 07:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Eagle Preserve Scenic Float Adventure

you will have a wonderful time and the right time of year as well. I have already had one knee surgery and truly I didnt have any trouble. But when you see the little float you will laugh..not what we were expecting. It is literally a rubber boat you sit on the side and hold on to a rope..I had envisioned a boat with wooden seats side to side..my husband myself and a friend of ours started laughing and said why did we wait til we were in our 50's to do this - we had a wonderful time...just cold...
Old June 28th, 2004, 11:04 AM
nancy stark

We took this trip several years ago on our first Alaska cruise. It is a relaxing "float"!! There was no "strenuous" activity getting in or out of the boat - the guide did the rowing, and we just sat back and enjoyed the view. My knees aren't what they used to be either - but this excursion presented no problems.