Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 1st, 2004, 03:11 PM
Passenger

Default Seattle or Vancouver

Because of the difference in airfare from our gateway, we want to fly into Seattle, but cruise from Vancouver. Is this do-able if you fly on the same day that you embark?

Thanks for the replies.
Sponsored Links
Old June 1st, 2004, 04:24 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Seattle or Vancouver

Where are you flying from??? If you can be in Seattle by 1000, then yes you can fly in the same day- I would NOT recommend any later arriving flight. It is best to arrive the night before- then transfer in the am via Amtrak (add at least $30 in cab fares) Quick Shuttle, or one way rental car, also cruiseline transfers will be available. I mostly drive- check rentals from National, Avis, Hertz, Budget. You will want a DOWNTOWN Vancouver drop off NOT airport. I mostly stay the night before in Bellingham, then with a by 1000 start- I can be in Vancouver in a little over an hour and have time for some Vancouver touring. I am never in a rush to get on the ship.
Old June 3rd, 2004, 05:37 PM
ehogan

Be careful here. Traffic out of Seattle is monstrous any time of day and the border into Canada can be backed up for a couple of hours on a weekend.

You are much better off coming in a day early.
Old June 4th, 2004, 12:17 AM
Yeoman

i would not fly into seattle and try to get to vancouver and the ship the same day. if i flew into vancouver the same day i would be nervous. but that is just me. you can never tell what is going to happen at the airports. i know we are going to be saving over $300 each by flying into seattle instead of vancouver. for those savings i can justify a $50 hotel room and $20 for a meal. can you fly in the day before and get a hotel for the night. i know that on priceline and hotwire the rooms are very reasonable at the airport and they have shuttles to pick you up. go to the quick shuttle site, pretend you are going to book a trip and you can bring down a menu for your drop off that has a list of the hotels they drop you off at. there are alot of them downtown vancouver and the one at the airport is the fairfield.. then a hotel shuttle will pick you up free of charge.

we are going to use quick coach for our transport to vancouver the day before our cruise. they will drop you off right at the dock.

good luck and i hope there are no delays with the plane and you make it in good time.

Old June 4th, 2004, 02:47 PM
Passenger

With the current airline schedule, leaving from Tulsa, we can be in Seattle at 1025.

The airfare versus flying to Vancouver is about $400 cheaper into Seattle.

We have flown and sailed the same day the past three cruises, but to Fort Lauderdale.

From what I'm reading on HAL Iteneraries, looks like the better sightseeing is out of Vancouver, plus you get Skagway.

With our work schedules, we cannot fly in the night before. HOw about on the return trip? The ship docks at 0700, what time should we book our return flight out of Seattle?
Old June 4th, 2004, 05:20 PM
Admiral

You are cutting it too close arriving after 1000. There is a BIG difference, and NO comparism between the 10 min cab ride to Ft. Lauderdale port from the airport and the 3 1/2+++ HOUR transfer Seatac- Vancouver. If you want to go ahead with this- you have to make the last shuttle with Quick Shuttle at 1130, meaning you have to be through baggage claim and on the bus by then. No guarantees in busy or BIG Seatac. I wouldn't book a flight returning before 3pm and this is a dead schedule time and most flights after this will be overnights outside of the Pacific region. Yes- Vancouver departures are superior to Seattle in terms of scenery for the most part. If you can't invest the necessary time, then rethink this trip until you can, next best compromise is to sail out of Seattle. I would forget Vancouver unless you fly in there.
Old June 8th, 2004, 08:28 PM
Roy W.

Default Re: Re: Seattle or Vancouver

Problem solved, take Princess and do the Seattle Round trip. The Diamond or the Sapphire. I'm doing it May '05. Roy
Old June 11th, 2004, 08:20 PM
Allison Ramirez

Hi,

You can do this, but it isn't very fun.

Our group had a charter bus that we boarded as soon after we landed as we could.
It is a Three and a half hour drive into Vancouver.
I was frazzled and tired when we got to the ship, and swore I would never do it again.
I would consider it if I went a day early though. Get to Vancouver, and enjoy the evening before your cruise if at all possible. If you have to, yes it can be done.
Old June 14th, 2004, 10:56 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Seattle or Vancouver

I think we've decided to fly into Vancouver and avoid all the hassle and the chance of missing the ship.

Hopefully, by this time next year, the airfares to Canada will be a bit more reasonable from our gateway.

Thanks to all for the repiies to this post.
Old June 15th, 2004, 11:36 PM
phoenix15

Seattle is a great town. If you've never been there it might be worth cruising out of Seattle rather than losing approx. 1 day of travel overall for transfer to and from Vancouver from Seattle. Seattle attractions: Space Needle, Underground Tour, Boeing plant and air museum, locks cruises, Pike's Place Market....nearby attractions include Mt. Ranier, Mt. St. Helen's. We recently cruised roundtrip from Seattle and flew in early just to see some of Seattle.....enjoyed almost as much as cruise.