Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 2nd, 2004, 08:40 PM
Passenger

Default White Pass Railroad - Round Trip or One Way

I know this question has been asked a million times. We are going on our first Alaskan Cruise in August with Celebrity. Would you recommend taking the White Pass Railroad round trip in Skagway or the one way trip whith the bus ride down? This is the excursion that Celebrity offers. Any recomendations would be great!!! Thanks!
Beth

Join an unforgettable journey aboard the world-famous narrow gauge White Pass & Yukon Route Railroad along the eastern side of the White Pass to the 2,865-foot summit. This iron trail was built over 100 years ago through some of the North's most rugged terrain. Board an 1890's-style parlor car and retrace the original route beyond the summit of White Pass to Fraser, British Columbia. Upon reaching Fraser, board a motor coach for a journey down the west side of the White Pass canyon. Listen while your driver/guide regales you with stories of the stampeders who trekked through the pass in search of gold. See picturesque points such as Tormented Valley and Pitchfork Falls where you will be able to look back across the valley to the train tracks from which you just traveled.

On your way down the Pass stop at the historic gold rush camp of Liarsville where you may browse through cabins and tents used as a bakery, laundry, saloon and bordello.
Sponsored Links
Old June 3rd, 2004, 01:28 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Default Re: White Pass Railroad - Round Trip or One Way

Personally, I have done the round trip on the railroad in Skagway....and I would do the one way trip. On the way up, it was very interesting, on the way down I was literally lulled to sleep as I had already seen it all and the swaying of the train made me very sleepy.

I am going to Alaska again this summer and I decided to do the trip Princess offers - the Yukon Expedition and White Pass Railway........you take a bus up into the Yukon up to Carcross - lots of great scenery and a lunch at a local place and then the train back down to Skagway.

If you do the trip one way and you are going up, make sure to sit on the LEFT side of the train - much better view from that side! If you are doing one way and going down sit on the RIGHT side.

Old June 3rd, 2004, 04:02 PM
Admiral

If you decide on the bus/ train combo. It is better to have the rail FROM Skagway as most of the commentary is on the way up- be certain to sit on the left side of the train. I also would encourage you to consider the longer bus ride rather than the one listed. This one only goes into BC and not the Yukon which offers some excellent scenery, also some people want to say they have been there??? There is an independent option for this?? Head over to www.cruisecritic.com Yukon has the information.
Old June 5th, 2004, 03:52 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: White Pass Railroad - Round Trip or One Way

Thanks for the information. Where can I find the information on cruisecritic.com concerning the White Pass/Yukon tour that is offered? Thanks again!
Old June 5th, 2004, 05:00 PM
Admiral

www.cruisecritic.com ports of call board- Alaska screen name Yukon search.