Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 7th, 2004, 11:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Just back from radiance of the seas..any questions>

this was the most amazing cruise ever to alaska from vancouver. I would be more than haooy to answer any questions you might have.

Voyager of the Seas, 01/03
Radiance of the Seas, 01/04
Radiance of the Seas, 05/04
Sovereign of the Seas 08/04
Sponsored Links
Old June 8th, 2004, 01:21 AM
Mark Askey

Default Re: Just back from radiance of the seas..any questions>

Questions! Absolutely.

We are heading on our second Alaskan Cruise on July 17th. First one was on Princess and we are talking our 11 year old this time on RCCL Radiance. Here is what I would like to know:

What were the dinner themes each night? I believe formal nights were Sunday and Thursday and that Thursday is lobster night. Can you remember what dinner was on Sun/Mon/Tue/Wed/Fri? We want to hit Chops and Portifino one each and was curious the best nights to skip the dining room.

Was the solarium open to kids during the day? My 11 year old is a fish and I am scared she will not be able to swim much if she can't swim inside.

How was the entertainment? Anything you would mark as "Don't miss"?

Why didn't you take me with you?

Thanks!

Mark
Old June 8th, 2004, 01:24 AM
Mark Askey

One other question:

How early should we get to Ballantine Pier to board? I am considering getting there about 11:00, but wonder if I am pushing it.

How long was the boarding process?

Thanks!

Mark
Old June 8th, 2004, 09:35 AM
rshillman

Departing this Saturday...do you have time to share the highlights of your trip?
~R.
Old June 8th, 2004, 11:53 AM
Cruise Maniac

Ok- well this was honestly the trip of a lifetime..and honestly we did not want to get off.
Alaska is the breathtaking place to visit- make sure you pack lots of film!

Th age onboard the Radiance ranged mostly from 35-60. I am in my 20's so I was actually one of the younger one but it was still a blast.

Mark- Theme nights were Wetsern which I believe was on the Wednesday, There was a 70's disco on sunday. 50's rock n roll sock hop on thursday, and that was so much fun!
The formal nights were on the Sunday and the Wednesday. Monday was the chocolate midnight buffet, Wednesday was the second gala buffet. You will never lack anything to choose from on the menu. They offered shrimp cocktail 3 times, lobster 1 night, which I believe was on the the Wednesday at the second formal night- so do not miss that.
All sorts of salmon and fish to choose from but I would say to do Chops and portofino's on the monday, tues, or thursday. There are no major seafood nights tehre although you may miss a sirloin steak or something like that. CHOPS WAS INCCREDIBLE! Possibly the best food I have ever tasted. Service there is outstanding- andit is a whole experience. I hope this helps!
Kids were allowed in the solarium from 12;00pm- 2:00pm and then again from like 6:00pm-8:00pm. The activities for the children onboard are great- thjere were 150 children onboadr and we never saw them because RCI does a wonderful job at keeping them busy. There is so much for them to do. The main pool area was always opened for them and the weather was warm enough to swim outside!

Entertainment was awesome. I was on the Radiance in January as well- butI would say entertainment was way better on the alaska cruise. The Coasters were on board, we had an illusionist/magician, there was a pianist, the dancers and singers were great, there was a comedian on board who was hysterical and was so popular they had a midnight show just for him after the chocolate buffet! I would say do not miss the coasters (if they are still there) in fact everything was wonderful. The love and marriage show is the best and the Quest game is just hilarious!
Basically- do not go to bed! haha
I hope you have excursions planned cause they were jsut incredible!

Our embarkation procedure was so easy and smopth- but just like you we wanted to get there really early so we left our hotel at 11;00 and were at the pier by 11:15. the whole procedure took about 25 minutes and we were on board by 12:00!!!! ready to eat!
So get there early if you want toa void any lines!!! Ballantyne pier is just 5 minutes maybe from canada place.

R. Shillman- I wish I were going back with you! You will just adore his ship! The staff, went above and beyond to serve you and everything was just wonderful! You will see first hand for yourself! Have a wonderful time!
Old June 10th, 2004, 11:03 AM
enyaw

Default Re: Re: Just back from radiance of the seas..any questions&g

I'll be on the Radiance at the end of this month---I'm sailing with a friend of mine--adnd we're both in our 20's. We can't wait until the cruise---but are worried it's going to be full of older people....but with your review it made it sound much better!

Thanks!
Old June 10th, 2004, 12:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

enyaw-
How old are you? Are you travelling with a girlfriend? I was with my friend and we just had a blast- there were plenty of people there to hang out with that will be your age in the disco, etc... Do you have any excursions planned? Where are you from?

Old June 10th, 2004, 12:53 PM
enyaw

electra--

N...not a girlfriend...just a co-worker who had the same week off as me---so we decided to book a cruise! I think we'll be snorkeling in Ketchikan--but other than that we don't have anything planned.

We're from Eugene OR....and are both 26.

Thanks for all your insight knowledge with the Radiance!
Old June 10th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

enyaw- YOu will have a wonderful time as many of the guests are in their 30's. Ketchikan is absolutely adorable- have fun snorkeling. I don't know if you were looking into other excusrsions but I highly recommend the Whitepass railway in Skagway- you will never see such scenery in your entire life!
What made you choose Alaska? Are you early seating or late seating?