Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 9th, 2004, 07:40 AM
Passenger

Default Pics of Island Princess Alaska cruise, May '04

I just finished posting photos from our first cruise, a southbound glacier cruise on the Island Princess, May 22 - 29. They are in the photo gallery under "Alaska southbound glacier cruise, May 22, Part 1" and "Alaska southbound glacier cruise, May 22, Part 2." Photos include train from Anchorage to Whittier, College Fjord, Glacier Bay, Skagway, Juneau, and Ketchikan, and Vancouver. Hope you enjoy!

Island Princess . . . May 22, 2004

Sponsored Links
Old June 9th, 2004, 11:32 AM
Roy W

Default Re: Pics of Island Princess Alaska cruise, May '04

Hi. Great photo's, I take lots of pictures and I envy you cause I'm not going till May '05. Thanks again Roy
Old June 9th, 2004, 01:32 PM
KeithB

BethT

I checked out your pics yesterday as we are going on the southbound in August on Sun Princess. I want to go NOW!!!! Thanks a bunch.
Old June 9th, 2004, 02:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Nice pics Beth..........Is fed my Alaska Fever. We leave Aug 8th, can't wait.

Old June 9th, 2004, 02:37 PM
Passenger

Glad you liked the photos, I know I liked looking at other people's pics before we left. Hope you all have a fabulous time!

Beth

Old June 10th, 2004, 12:10 PM
Sherry B

Planning same voyage next year. What was the weather like?
Old June 10th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Pics of Island Princess Alaska cruise, May '04

I just loved the pictures. It helps me enjoy the anticipation of our cruise to Alaska leaving two weeks from tomorrow. Thanks for sharing.
Old June 10th, 2004, 12:44 PM
Outhouse

I would appreciate any helpful hints as we are sailing on the Island on 08/28 and it will be our first cruise and our first visit to Alaska.
Old June 10th, 2004, 02:37 PM
Mateen1

Wow!

Beautiful pictures and nice mix of scenery and ship interiors. I can't wait to go!
Old June 10th, 2004, 05:08 PM
Passenger

Nice photos, Beth. Just went through my photo albums from our Alaskan cruise last August and it was great to compare with photos taken earlier in the "cruise season". Hope you enjoyed your trip as much as we did!!
Old June 14th, 2004, 03:50 PM
Passenger

Sherry B,

The weather was nice some of the time, and not so nice the rest of the time. We had a couple of days of pretty thick fog, some rain, and cool temps (high 40s to low 50s). In junuea, when we went whalewatching, we had some nice sun and it was warmer, even though the weather right at the dock was cloudy. It got warmer and better as the week went on. However, I heard from a few people that for about 10 days in a row before we arrived, it was sunny and in the 60s. So you never know!

Beth

Old June 14th, 2004, 04:16 PM
Passenger

Outhouse,

Sorry it took me awhile to get back to you with tips. Here are a few random things that we learned along the way:

We did anytime dining, which worked well for us. We never had to wait in line. We always tried to go to the dining room before 7, usually between 6 and 6:30. I think after that it may get more busy. We found that if we did not ask for a table for 2, they would seat us at a larger table to fill the table up. This was fine, but there were times when we wanted a more private meal. We were always able to get a table for two when we asked for one. However, the tables for two are still pretty close to the next table, so it's still not totally private or intimate!

We'd never been on a resort-type vacation before, so I wasn't sure how the dining room was going to work. Usually the waiter pulled out our chairs for us and put our napkins in our laps, that sort of thing. Nothing too over the top though. The service was very prompt. You get a menu with several choices for each course - appetizers, soups and salads, main dish, dessert. For lunch, you order everything you want at the beginning of the meal, and you can have whatever you want off the menu - two appetizers, soup and a salad, whatever. One night my husband ordered two desserts and they just smiled and brought them. I probably wouldn't do that every time though! For dinner, they bring you a separate dessert menu after the meal. Most of the selections are different each nght, but there are a few items that are available every night, for example, a Caesar salad.

If there is a wait in the dining room, they give you a buzzer just like at a restaurant.

To get bathrobes, all you have to do is call your room steward or room service, and they will deliver the robes to your room, no charge.

On cool days, there were these red plaid blankets available on the open decks. The day we were in Glacier Bay, we were very glad to have blankets even in the indoor pool area! They were on a table in the "hallway" between the outdoor pool and indoor pool (Deck 14) and you just had to show your room card to sign them out. They had to be returned by a certain time (maybe 5 p.m.?) I saw some people with these blankets on their balconies, so I guess you can take them with you wherever you go. We never saw any sort of info about the blankets; we had to ask someone else who had one where she had gotten it.

There is a little mini-golf course on Deck 15 that's kind of fun, especially if the sun is out since it's open to the sky. There are two wooden doors that say Princess Links on them (I beleive they are opposite some stairs). Go to the one on the right. There are clubs and balls there and you just start playing, no need to sign up or anything. I think there are about 8 or 9 holes. Nothing real fancy, but it's still fun.

For the shows, I suggest getting there 20 to 30 minutes before show time if you want your pick of seats, especially for the Universe Lounge. I suggest sitting on the second story near the front for a good view but you can check out different locations and see which you like.

For a nice quiet place to relax, go to the Library. We went there a few evenings between dinner and the shows and just sat and looked out at the water. It's a nice spot to kind of get away from everything for a bit. Also, on a table in the middle of the library, every day there are copies of a different word puzzle, which I thought was kind of fun, and they post the answer's to the previous day's puzzle.

There are a few Princess TV stations that play on your room TV. One shows the view from a camera on the ship, which can also be seen on the Princess website (look for bridgecams). It's an easy way to see what the weather is like when you wake up in the morning! You can also hear the naturalist on this station when she talks about wildlife and the area (you can also hear this on the open decks and in Horizon Court).

On one of the other channels, there is a show by the cruise director or other staff each morning that talks about the day's events. This channel also shows some of the presentations that are given in the Princess Theater, for example, a port and shopping presentation given by one of the staff. The Princess Patter newsletter that you get each day tells what will be playing on the Princess channels.

That's all I can think of right now, but if you have any questions, let me know and I will try to answer them!

Beth

Old June 21st, 2004, 02:31 AM
Hangel

Default Re: Re: Pics of Island Princess Alaska cruise, May '04

Nice pictures - I particularly liked the pictures of the horseback riding. Did you have a great riding experience with them?
Old June 21st, 2004, 12:30 PM
Passenger

Hangel,

We did have a good time on the horseback riding adventure. The scenery on the ride to the ranch was beautiful. I have to admit I was a little nervous while on the horse. Even though I'd done it a couple of times before, I was a little scared a few times when the horses trotted down some hills and stuff. But that's just a personal thing - my husband, who hadn't been on a horse in years, was fine. The route we took on the ride was nice - mostly through some open woods but we also stopped by a few scenic overlooks. I'm guessing the actual ride was about 45 minutes to an hour. Then when we got back to the ranch, Joni (the guide) has some homemade snacks and drinks for us and we all sat around a big table and got to learn more about her background. The day we went, it was a small tour, with 7 people, but I don't know if it's always that way. Dealing with Southeast Tours, who handles this tour, was great, too. They were very accomodating.