Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 20th, 2004, 10:28 PM
Cassaroni

Default What excursions should we take for the alaska cruise?

Iím a nineteen year old girl going on a cruise to Alaska with my parents in July. Unfortunately when we discuss the excursions we should take as a family, nobody agrees! I would appreciate if you Princess veterans would post your opinions and experiences so we can finally settle this never-ending battle!!! Thanks!

~Cassandra
Sponsored Links
Old June 21st, 2004, 12:39 AM
Admiral

Default Re: What excursions should we take for the alaska cruise?

You would be best to have a family meeting with a shore excursion list and everyone list their top 5 choices. There is NO need for all to go together and strongly encourage your group to split up. 19 is old enough to go alone if the tour is of interest. No way to miss getting back to the ship- it will be a BIG white thing in the water. Just remember the ship name you are on. But to answer your question- Alaska has just plenty of excellent tours available, narrow down your interests and repost. Budget fully- they are worth it.
Old June 21st, 2004, 10:52 AM
Thoth

I agree with what Karen 16 had to say. One thing I might add is that you can find the shore trips listed online. Each of you could pick out your own choices before you ever leave. It is very common for family groups to split up onto different shore trips. Last year I knew several who took a shore excursion to get away from the family for a short time.
Old June 21st, 2004, 02:50 PM
Admiral

How true Thoth!!! I have gotten away from my family that way!!! But there are many regrets from Alaska visitors of not doing tours they really wanted to. They are too good to miss if of interest and too costly to be dragged along if not of interest. Plan carefully and budget fully.
Old June 22nd, 2004, 03:22 PM
wallace

The Yukon and Whitepass railway was a high light for us . An old narrow guage railroad
that travelled up to the B.C Border and then take the glacier lake kayaking portion .

The train has a special rail car for people that take the kayaking adventure .

Try the down hill mountain biking from the summit to the town of Skagway . Aprox 45 miles

Whale watching is kind of sedentary but if you have never seen Grey whales...it's ok .
Juneau /Keticikan

If you like souvenir shopping every port has dozens of quaint nicky tacky shops . [PS I hated them }

Helcopter rides to the glaciers . {expensive } but thrilling.
Old June 22nd, 2004, 09:27 PM
Admiral

I do NOT recommend the biking down the Klondike Highway- no bike paths and steep areas in some places- it is about 20 miles. It will also go in all kinds of weather. For clairfication- out of Juneau whale watching in Auke Bay has close to 100% HUMPBACK sightings NOT gray's. A glacier helicopter landing is my top choice of all Alaska tours. Easy to book direct if desired.
Old June 23rd, 2004, 07:44 AM
Zniedda

Default Re: Re: What excursions should we take for the alaska cruise

We are going horseback riding with Southeast Tours in Skagway.

Whale watching, Mendenhall glacier, and gold mine tour with Captain Larry in Juneau. He coordinated everything for me since I'm squeezing so much into a day.

Sportfishing with Northern Lights in Ketchikan.

If we had time we would love to do a kyacking trip, or a dog sled racing.

Hope this helps!
Old June 28th, 2004, 07:07 AM
Lorna

If you like wildlife I would suggest whale watching with Captain Larry in Juneau. We enjoyed it alot.