Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 22nd, 2004, 02:11 PM
Nonni

Default White Pass Railroad

I get the picture that one way on the train is enough. The only tour company that I found that offers a bus or van one way and does some gold panning only operates on Sunday only. Anyone know of any trips or companies that I should look into?
Sponsored Links
Old June 22nd, 2004, 02:48 PM
Passenger

Default Re: White Pass Railroad

My husband and I rented a mid-size car from Avis for about $50. Before we picked up the car we stopped at the visitors center and got a newpaper that had a driving tour in it. We got the car and headed up the mountain, you have the choice how far to go! He drove and I read, we stopped to look, take pictures and catch a quick nap. The train goes about 45 miles up and we drove 78 miles, it was very pleasant. Don't forget your passport or birth certificate as you pass into Canada. We went all the way to Emerald Lake and also stopped at the gift shop close to Emerald Lake. It was a wonderful surprise as there is a non-profit museaum in the rear of the gift shop. We were so happy that we took this way, getting the car ourselves. It was one of the highlights of our trip!
Old June 22nd, 2004, 03:05 PM
wallace

Just got back from the White pass and Yukon and the rule of the conductor is :-
If you sit on the left going up- all must change sides on the return .

So you end up seeing different scenery coming and going. Highlight of our trip by far .

Take binoculars and watch for mountain goats .If clear almost always guarantees sightings .

A must for all visitors to Skagway
Old June 22nd, 2004, 03:12 PM
kendra

we did a trip through Princess where you take the train up past the peak a little ways - then disembark and kayak on the lake up there - and return via motorcoach.

Beautiful and only $40 more than the train on its own. Definitely worth it. Let me know if you want more info and I'll try to see if I can find out the name of the tour company.
Old June 22nd, 2004, 09:23 PM
Admiral

For clairfication- the train is about 20+ miles one way, and if you drive the Klondike Highway, I recommend going to Emerald Lake 75 miles one way and return. The scenery on the White pass is superior from the train. If you drive, go to cruisecritic.com and print out a copy of Yukon's travel log from the Alaska port of call board.
Old June 22nd, 2004, 10:06 PM
Kitty cruiser

Default Re: Re: White Pass Railroad

Can anyone tell me if I book the train ride from the cruise ship instead of at the port, dl you get better seats? Someone said, if you book from the ship, you get to board first so you get to pick your seats. 'Though It does sound like you trade seats going back.

Also, do I have to book in advance or can I just get to the port and walk up and pay for the tickets then. How far is the boarding station from the cruise port?

thanks
Old June 22nd, 2004, 10:49 PM
Thoth

At about 2 months out, I booked my train-ride on the ship's excursions section of the Holland America website. You can also book it on the ship. As far best seats? It's open seating on each car, so sit on the left going up. A very good excursion is the "White pass rail/coach & Gold Rush Trailcamp adventure" which cost about $150. That includes the train up to White Pass to Fraser, BC. A bus then takes you back to Skagway stopping along the way at Liersville gold rush camp where you see a show.
If you are sailing on another line, check their website becouse from my understanding all the major lines offer the same shore trips.
Old June 23rd, 2004, 06:53 AM
Admiral

The trains are separate- cruise contracted and the regular run. They can run up several trains at once. You will board an independent booked train at the depot on First St. Again sit on the left facing the engine. For no switching- sit across from the bathroom.
Old June 23rd, 2004, 11:54 AM
Nonni

I would like to take the train up and take a bus, etc. down that stops at Liarsville Goldrush Camp. Can't seem to find one. Any suggestions? We are a group of 8 with a 7 and 10 year old.
Old June 23rd, 2004, 12:41 PM
Passenger

Another quick question. When is the best time of day to go? Morning, noon, or afternoon?

Thanks
Old June 23rd, 2004, 09:49 PM
Thoth

You should be able to find a suitable tour on your cruiseline's website. At about 2 months out you can book your trips on-line. Lasy year I did the afternoon White Pass train trip and the weather had improved over the day. That day at least the morning was hazy.