Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 22nd, 2004, 11:02 PM
Thoth

Default " Guide's Choice Adventure Hike" out of Juneau

Has anyone on this board done the "Guide's Choice Adventure Hike" out of Juneau?
I have that booked for next month and was wondering what to expect. Could be in rain forest, or meadows, or near glaciers Could be on the moutaintop or in the valley. I don't know!! Perhaps that's why it's called Guide's choice?!
Seriously, I would like some pointers on what to pack for this trip in July. Raingear,water, insect spray, and layers I understand.
Sponsored Links
Old June 22nd, 2004, 11:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: " Guide's Choice Adventure Hike" out of Juneau

I'm considering this as well. The best I can provide is http://www.stepintoalaska.com/ which is apparently the tour provider's site. It has a good number of photos from each of its tours (including Guide's Choice and Rainforest Walk of Discovery).
Old June 23rd, 2004, 06:58 AM
Admiral

They sometimes go on Douglas Island, but I have never seen them at Mendenhall. There is a good well marked trail there East Loop. Or there are good trails up Mt. Roberts with a switchback back down if of interest. These walks are for most everyone- informative. As for general attire for Alaska- layers, lightweight lined jacket, 2 pair of walking shoes, rain gear, knit hat, gloves, I never take jeans- too bulky, take forever to dry. I greatly like lined and unlined wind pants, leggins.
Old June 23rd, 2004, 09:42 PM
Thoth

Thank you both for the input! Here's hoping for a rain forest trip! It shouldn't be cold like in the mountains. Last year I took the tram up Mt. Rroberts in Setember. COLD!! They also offer a rain forest walk but it's too short for my taste at only 1.5 miles. 3-6 miles is more to my liking.
Old June 24th, 2004, 07:26 AM
Admiral

As a suggestion- one of the most beautiful rain forest hikes inside passage is the Preserverance Trail out of Ketchikan. You need a rental car- north of downtown.
Old June 24th, 2004, 10:17 PM
Thoth

I thought of doing that, but in Ketchikan I'm doing the Misty Fjords plane/boat .In Sitka I'm on the city tour. That leaves Juneau as my hike day.
Old June 25th, 2004, 06:55 AM
Admiral

My opinion only - skip the Sitka city tour. You can take the all day loop bus to all the same sites for $7 or walk. Small admissions.
Old June 25th, 2004, 09:58 PM
Thoth

Well I'm booked and payed for the Sitka tour. It does include the Raptor center and dancers, as well as the Cathedral and Sitka national Historic park.
Also I went to the www.stepinto alaska.com/ site and found information on the nature hike. Where the hikers go depends on the weather. Panchos are provided!